PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle follower or Cracker = cruise control

Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Throttle follower or Cracker = cruise control

My brain is drawing a blank, which table causes the mysterious cruise control feeling at low rpm?
Phil
Old 04-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Cracker is where I've seen the most trouble. But most of
what I touch is Camaros, not 'vettes.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be too much RAF, cracker or follower. When does it happen
Old 04-21-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Rock
It's always the cracker's fault!

Seriously though, I think a lot of driveability issues stem from the factory settings in the throttle cracker table and a little from the follower table. Keep in mind these aren't the only tables that have an "adder" effect to the desired airflow. For example, there's a table called "Filtered RPM Airflow Correction" in EFILive. Based on the RPM's rate of change, the values are either added to or subtracted from the Desired Airflow. I'd try to use this table to fix the problem in instances where people see stalling when they put the clutch in or come to a quick stop. Just remember, the airflow tables can be your friend just as easily as it's currently your enemy as long as you're making the corrections in the right spot.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 PM
7 Second Club

Not getting it now, On my corvette last year, I changed either the cracker or the follower and it gave it a cruise control effect. The car smoothed out @ very low RPMs. The goal is to improve driveability below 1400rpm with the 254/260 cam.
Phil
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Seriously though, I think a lot of driveability issues stem from the factory settings in the throttle cracker table and a little from the follower table. Keep in mind these aren't the only tables that have an "adder" effect to the desired airflow. For example, there's a table called "Filtered RPM Airflow Correction" in EFILive. Based on the RPM's rate of change, the values are either added to or subtracted from the Desired Airflow. I'd try to use this table to fix the problem in instances where people see stalling when they put the clutch in or come to a quick stop. Just remember, the airflow tables can be your friend just as easily as it's currently your enemy as long as you're making the corrections in the right spot.
Hey that's me with the quick stop stalls or mostly stumbles. Is there a similar table in HPTuners anyone? How do you work it?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Not getting it now, On my corvette last year, I changed either the cracker or the follower and it gave it a cruise control effect. The car smoothed out @ very low RPMs. The goal is to improve driveability below 1400rpm with the 254/260 cam.
Phil

Good luck

Ensure your RAF is dialed in first. Easy to do and to eliminate as a variable.

Then you will want to log the cracker and follower PIDS. Take a drive and duplicate the problem a few times. Helps to have this in the chart (trend line) view.

You should be able to get a visual of what's causing the cruise control. If it's the follower, adjust the decay rate a little slower. If it's the cracker, take a little air out of the table, and or make adjustments to the decay rate. Cracker decay is pretty fast on Fbods.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But how can you tell which one it is? Sorry about the dumb question but I am trying to get a clear understanding and I need the explanation dumbed down a little with more basics if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Then you will want to log the cracker and follower PIDS. Take a drive and duplicate the problem a few times. Helps to have this in the chart (trend line) view.

Doesn't get much more dumbed down. Look at your chart, the one that's not 0 is your culprit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle follower or Cracker = cruise control