Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the track tonight with new Diablo tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Going to the track tonight with new Diablo tune

I am going to the track tonight 1/8th mile. I just put the SLP tune in last night from Diablo Sport II. The only mods i have so far is the typical airbox/filter/smooth duct stuff. I have a pulley also not installed yet, and my rims did not come in yet so no tires. What should i modify from the SLP tune for tonight? I tried it out on the street, it still seems as though the 1-2 shift is around 5800 even though the tune says 6289. What about the shift firmness, should i modify this it does not seem too hard shifting. If it does not increase my speed i do not want to change it. Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

I'd drop desired shift times 15% from stock and leave all else be. Remember, the stock tach has a bit of lag in it. So, what looks like a 5800rpm shift may actually be a 6000rpm shift. If you must change something, watch for KR during your pass. If you don't see any, you could up the spark advance slightly to see if your any faster next time around. If you go slower or see some KR, pull some timing and see if that helps. Your ET will tell you ultimately the best setup. Unfortunately, you're rather limited with it being a hand held. I'm hesitant to tell you to pull PE because I don't know what the SLP tune has done...so, I'd leave that alone. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice. Yes i was thinking of the shift time change also. Do i up the shift time 15% for each shift 1-2, 2-3, etc to hold it in each gear longer? Then there is a setting for shift hardness also. I will play during time trials i guess.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Desired shift time is how long it takes the tranny to shift from one gear to the next. So you ideally want to decrease the times by 15%. Think more along the lines of a shift kit. Trans pressure controls how hard the shift hits (more pressure = harder shift). I wouldn't increase that more than 5%. If you want the trans to stay in a gear longer, then you up the shift rpm. Change the shift rpm too high and you'll bounce off of the rev limiter before it shifts (not good). Again, your best bet is to just change the desired shift times (-15%) and keep an eye out for KR. The PCM will adapt the shift pressure on its own trying to produce the quicker shift. The other settings should be fine the way they are in the canned tune.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 04-21-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks again for the info, i ran a new low for me 8.69 in the 1/8th which puts me in the heavy class with my buddies full blown race cars. That is with my street tires and the only mods were the Diablo SLP tune, air box, smooth belows. Not bad for a basically stock SS. Lots to build on.