PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use CAGS in a track application?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone use CAGS in a track application?

So in various software you can alter/get rid of CAGS because it is so fricken annoying.

But has anyone ever set it up in order to prevent an accidental downshift at high RPM (the infamous 3rd to 2nd @ 90mph shift). If the CAGS qualifiers are mph, rpm, and coolant temp, then you could make this work by enabling it in an appropriate mph and rpm...

Or can it only be used for 1 -> 2nd applications, not 3 -> 2?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know there's been talk about this in the past... but not sure if anyone's tried it... I seem to recall discussion where it wont work, but i forget the reasons why not
Old 04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone else? I can't seem to find anything in search via this matter
Old 04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it would work. inside the trans there is piece on the shift rail that has a groove cut into it. this is what the pin in the skip shift solenoid follows. the groove is cut into a shape that guide you from 1st to fourth(duh). when the trans is in 3rd if the solenoid was actived its pin would not be in the groove so it might still be possible to go to gear other than 4th. if you where to have a piece made with a straight groove that lined with the 3-4 gate cut into then it would work. on all my cars if I ever have the tranny apart I simply do not put that piece back in. then I can leave skip shift hooked up the computer thinks skip shift is working, but it has no effect on the my 1-2 shifting at all.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CAGS will allow you to goto third, not just fourth, so I think it just works by "blocking" second. Theorhetically, this might work. You would have to calcualte at what mph's you want it to take affect at...so whenever you would shift into 4th gear would be the rough "middle" of your mph range. Lets say (made up number) your at 80mph @ redline when shifting into 4th.. you could turn cags on at say 70 and off at 90 or so....

I might try this myself...its a good idea!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

cags could be programmed to activate at the times you wanted it to. put as long as you leave the guide as is in the trans. and the solenoid was activated you would have to physically break the solenoid pin or the guide it follows to get the tranny in 3rd.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll experiment with this and see what I can come up with. In theory it would be great, possibly preventing missed shifts from 3 to 2 instead of 4th.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like the issue had to do with the CAGS Disable TPS%. Early software wouldn't allow you to set this high enough to keep CAGS enabled. I could be wrong. Someone asked for some software that you could enter 100% and one of the HPT guys supposedly patched the software and sent it to them but not sure what ever came of it.