General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant sensor issue ... maybe?

Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Coolant sensor issue ... maybe?

This one's got me stumped. I washed the car this mroning and jumped on the Interstate to let her wind-dry. I went down to the next exit and truned to come back up towards the house. When I turned left, the 'low coolant' light came on. I monitored all the gauges for about a mile and everything was perfect ... engine cool, tranny cool, oil pressure was perfect. I pulled over to see what the Owner's Manual had to say.

The manual just said you're supposed to pull over, turn the ignition OFF to clear the light, then add coolant, so, I did. Only problem is the radiator was completely full and so was the reservoir and I could claarly see the water circulating and exchanging coolant between the reservoir and the radiator. All appears to be normal.

Anyone ever have this happen? I came back home and tried adding water with the motor running and then with it turned off. Both ways, it would only hold about a 1/2 pint of water in the reservoir.

Anyone know if the sensor maybe contains a float that might be stuck or something that might be causing it to give false readings? Please advise if you know what might be casuing this light to keep coming on. It seems every time I turn left, it comes on.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will i have 1998 Camaro convert. and i have the same problem and i have been told that i have a fault in the sensor but i am not sure.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

That's what I would think it is ... doesn't sound like it could be anything else.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low coolant sensors go bad all the time. You can try taking it out and cleaning it, replace it with a new one, or do what most people do - just unplug the connector and the light will stay off. Can't remember exactly what year GM took them off our cars, I know mine doesn't have one.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Dude, I'll take that wire off in a heartbeat ... LOL! Thanks for the info. I guess they put the sensor there for people who don't ever do maintenance on their car or who never service thier car. Probably for little old ladies who drive F-Body's ... hehehe!

Search this Thread