LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How loud are Comp Promags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How loud are Comp Promags?

I completed my install, AI heads, CC valve train (Pushrods, Behives, Promag 1.6s) and I hear valve train noise while I am inside the car. Is this normal. I set the last cold with the EO IC method recomended on the cam card. It seemed noisy so I went another 1/2 turn ( 1 turn past zero total) and it did not sound any different however, it idled rougher. So then I did the hot lash with 1/4 past zero and it still sounds loud. Is this normal for RRs?

I started each procedure from scratch so don't worry about an over tightened valve train.
All of the oil stayed in the engine so setting the lash hot was not messy however, it was tough to hear the lifter tap over the exhaust and other valve train noise.

Mike
Old 04-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Launching!

What lifters are you running? I run stock replacements and about 1/4 to 1/2 turn is VERY quiet. With the hood shut idling you can barely hear them at all.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock GM lifters. Its not noisy but I can hear it.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I completed my install, AI heads, CC valve train (Pushrods, Behives, Promag 1.6s) and I hear valve train noise while I am inside the car. Is this normal. I set the last cold with the EO IC method recomended on the cam card. It seemed noisy so I went another 1/2 turn ( 1 turn past zero total) and it did not sound any different however, it idled rougher. So then I did the hot lash with 1/4 past zero and it still sounds loud. Is this normal for RRs?

I started each procedure from scratch so don't worry about an over tightened valve train.
All of the oil stayed in the engine so setting the lash hot was not messy however, it was tough to hear the lifter tap over the exhaust and other valve train noise.

Mike
One turn is probably way to much preload. What kind of lifters are in the car?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what ive gathered when properly adjusted they should sound like a sewing machine.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

yea mine tick a little and i have RR's. figured it was normal.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Valkyn
From what ive gathered when properly adjusted they should sound like a sewing machine.
That's what I've got!

Thanks!!

Mike
Old 04-22-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Hey aboatguy, how does your motor feel ?
power wise i know you really can't get on it untill its broken in but so far what you think about your head & cam pakage?
thanks.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

What kind of Oil are you running
Old 04-23-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slagger
Hey aboatguy, how does your motor feel ?
power wise i know you really can't get on it untill its broken in but so far what you think about your head & cam pakage?
thanks.

It feels strong and the idle sounds great. I am impressed with the heads and would definately go back to AI for another porting job. The cam is much more docile around town than I expected, now I am wondering if I could have gone a little hotter on my cam selection and still retained good manners and my AC. However, I live at about 6400ft and was blasting around at the 7500 ft level. It will have much more power down at sea level and the drivability may suffer.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buffman
What kind of Oil are you running

M1 5-30 (the factory fill for LT1 C4s) Corvettes got the 4 bolt mains; but did not get oil coolers, (Gotta love GMs money crunchers)

Mike
Old 04-23-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

It feels strong and the idle sounds great. I am impressed with the heads and would definately go back to AI for another porting job. The cam is much more docile around town than I expected, now I am wondering if I could have gone a little hotter on my cam selection and still retained good manners and my AC. However, I live at about 6400ft and was blasting around at the 7500 ft level. It will have much more power down at sea level and the drivability may suffer.

Sweet, I can't wait to run mine.
My motor is at my builder he just got my Canton Oil Pan in and he has to set up the pickup tube then braze it on Then I can finish it up..

I know I could have bigger on my cam But I'm in California and smog laws are strick here but from the numbers on my cam I should be real Happy...

I Have the 180cc head & cam Package...

Have Fun :-)
Old 04-23-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slagger
Sweet, I can't wait to run mine.
My motor is at my builder he just got my Canton Oil Pan in and he has to set up the pickup tube then braze it on Then I can finish it up..

I know I could have bigger on my cam But I'm in California and smog laws are strick here but from the numbers on my cam I should be real Happy...

I Have the 180cc head & cam Package...

Have Fun :-)
I believe you will be happy with your heads. I went with the fullport 190 cc heads and the Ferrea 6000s.

From the sound and the smell of the exhaust passing Kali emissions will not happen with my current package. (However, I would have failed the viz inspection due to the long tube headers I am glad I got out of Kali! Because this is illegal in Kali too!
Mike
Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

M1 5-30 (the factory fill for LT1 C4s) Corvettes got the 4 bolt mains; but did not get oil coolers, (Gotta love GMs money crunchers)

Mike

a lot of people have argued that oil choice and oil weight can have an effect on how loud the rockers and valvetrains components can be. Being that M1 5w30 and 10w30 are more like a thick 20 weight, maybe try running some M1 0w40, or 5w40
Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

i run mobil1 15-50 and my 1.6 pro mags are still kinda loud...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was not complaining about the valve train noise I was just wondering if it was normal. (I did not want to hurt my new heads)
Since it seems to be normal I went on a long drive today; I put about 250 miles on the car today without any drama.
Thanks for the info guys!
MIke

Quick Reply: How loud are Comp Promags?