LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Expertise needed, do I need a tune???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Expertise needed, do I need a tune???

I have a pair of LE2 heads coming in the next few weeks. I think I should play it safe and trailer the car to have it dyno tuned. So my question is does anyone think I'd be able to drive the car to the to the tuner verses trailering it? I figured some one had to come across this issue, so I just wanted to ask. Thanks for the info ahead of time.

Paul
Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

is it the le2 cam also or just the heads? it might run on the stock tune if the cam is not too extreme. I wouldn't run it for very long like that though.

Also if the person who is dyno tuning it is only going to adjust the standard dyno parameters for wot a/f etc, then I would get a mail order tune from one of the lt1 tuners to change the other stuff.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it will run and drive with very poor mileage...prolly around 7 or so to the gallon...but it will drive with a m6
Old 04-22-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will run just dont gun it... you may have to mess with the base idle to get it to run right....
Old 04-25-2006, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Im in the same boat. It is not going to affect anything in the wrong way though, right?

In terms of tuning, I plan on having a dyno tune done by one of the sponsors. This should be the best way of going in terms of tuning my car or should a mail order tune be sufficient? There is a huge price difference between the two, thats why the question.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Im in the same boat. It is not going to affect anything in the wrong way though, right?

In terms of tuning, I plan on having a dyno tune done by one of the sponsors. This should be the best way of going in terms of tuning my car or should a mail order tune be sufficient? There is a huge price difference between the two, thats why the question.
I know you'll never get all the hp out of the setup with a mail order vs having it dyno tuned by a profes. tuner.