View Full Version : PA guys

SheaMus
04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I have a question about our emmsions. I have pacesetter long tubes and ended up buying a tsp catted y since i have Slp LM exhaust. Iam lookin into the tsp true duels. Heard they give you the best Hp and sound damn good. now heres the question. Do we really need cats? I have been lookin all over and i see alot of guys without them that live in our state. im just worried if some cop pulls me over and gives me shit for not having them. Thanks.

White.Lightning
04-22-2006, 08:06 PM
What is emissions?!? Hahahaha Ummmmmm I dont worry about it for some odd reason :chug:

I have FLP LT's and the ORY so if I absolutely need to put the cats in, its a 30 min job.

Good luck
Andy

SLP99sscamaro
04-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I seriously doubt a cop would be smart enough to look under the car to look for cats ?? And if they are they are probably into cars a lot and they would probably let you slide off i have been pulled over runnin jus my LT's and the y pipe and the cop said nothing about the noise there were not even any tailpipes comin out the back soo.... thats why i said about the smartness issue. I have High flow cats gutted and it sounds no different with them on or just with my straight pipe in their place !

SheaMus
04-23-2006, 12:14 AM
So do we really need cats in our state to pass emissions

SAM98WS6
04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
No, as long as there are no codes...there is no visual test for 96+ vehicles.

I passed for years without cats. of course if the shop wants to be a dick you have to take it somewhre else.

Blakbird24
04-23-2006, 11:35 AM
It's up to the shop you take it to and the individual county's interpretation of the law. As long as you remove AIR from the computer, it won't throw any codes when scanned. So it will pass the computer test. However you are required by law to retain the original "configuration" of the exhaust. I don't think they'd give you a problem about having duals as long as you have one cat and some sort of sound suppression device on each side (or something that appears to be a muffler on the outside). So technically, without cats or at least cat shells, you should fail emmissions. But again, that's up to the shop and how thorough they are.

My suggestion is if you can't keep your car under 5k a year (to be emissions exempt), you should probably look into the removeable cats. Then just delete AIR from the computer. They wouldn't know the difference in that case.

DanPazich
04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Here's some info for inspection:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.80.html

It might pass emissions, but it will not pass an actual inspection.

BrandonDrecksage
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
it all depends...when I last got my car inspected...the shop said starting that year they had to check for cats.....so if you want to roll the dice..go ahead, but I wouldn't worry about a cop bustin you for it.

SAM98WS6
04-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Here's some info for inspection:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.80.html

It might pass emissions, but it will not pass an actual inspection.

Sorry dude...where there is an Emissions Inspection there is NO visual. he will pass with flying colors as long as there are no codes.

Timmy2Stage
04-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Sorry dude...where there is an Emissions Inspection there is NO visual. he will pass with flying colors as long as there are no codes.

Clear your PM BOX !!! :)

SheaMus
04-24-2006, 03:27 PM
so if i threw tsp true duels on would it throw a code? Do i have to delete anything in the computer?

SAM98WS6
04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
On a car with the stock cam all you will have to worry about is the rear O2 sensors..they have to be behind cats or have to put sims in place or delete them out of the PCM.

Dont misunderstand...if you get an inspection mechanic that wants to be a dick and not follow the law...you are screwed.

SheaMus
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
thanks guys for the help and info

Z06-Dave
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
You will not pass the visual inspection...ask me how I know.
Even though I am EXEMPT (drive less than 5,000 miles/yr), I still have to take the emissions test pass or fail I get a sticker. I pass emissions but fail inspection. The visual is done with the inspection, not emissions.

Blakbird24
04-24-2006, 07:21 PM
You will not pass the visual inspection...ask me how I know.
Even though I am EXEMPT (drive less than 5,000 miles/yr), I still have to take the emissions test pass or fail I get a sticker. I pass emissions but fail inspection. The visual is done with the inspection, not emissions.

I'll even back you up on that. One of my best friends is a GM master tech, and of course, does inspections. I asked him explicitly what the process entails because i am working on my exhaust system to and i want to make sure i can pass. A visual inspection is required by law. What they are actually looking for in that inspection, however, differs based on the region within PA that you live in.

SAM98WS6
04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
you guys are wrong...read the law at pa dot or posted above....it specifically says no visual where there is emissions testing. ive had my car pass two years now without cats...no big deal at all. Inspection mechanics that know the law know its a loophole.

(d) Visual inspection of emission control system. Vehicles registered in counties where there is not an emission inspection program under Chapter 177 (relating to emission inspection program), shall be checked visually for the presence of emission control components. These components may be original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component meeting the same standards. In addition to the exceptions under 175.4 (relating to vehicles required to be inspected), this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. 102 (relating to definitions

Z06-Dave
04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. 102 (relating to definitions
Your inspection guy is cool then, he is wrong too, unless your car is a classic

Blakbird24
04-24-2006, 09:37 PM
(d) Visual inspection of emission control system. Vehicles registered in counties where there is not an emission inspection program under Chapter 177 (relating to emission inspection program), shall be checked visually for the presence of emission control components. These components may be original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component meeting the same standards. In addition to the exceptions under 175.4 (relating to vehicles required to be inspected), this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. 102 (relating to definitions

We would need to see Chapter 177 for this to actually be of proof. To see that it does not explicitly say that a visual test is necessary. Even then, as noted in this passage, it differs depending on the county.

SAM98WS6
04-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Your inspection guy is cool then, he is wrong too, unless your car is a classic

That subsection does not apply to classic..just to 96+ where emissions is...several mechanics I know are right and follow the "flawed" law....

Anyhow im doen splitting hairs...you all need good mechanics..because if they are giving you a hard time...they are wrong.

DanPazich
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Here is the inspection procedure for the exhaust system:

(6) Inspect the exhaust system and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The vehicle has no muffler or noise suppressing system or the muffler has external repair.

(ii) There are loose or leaking joints.

(iii) There are holes, cracks or leaking seams in the exhaust system.

(iv) There is a muffler cutout or similar device.

(v) Part of the exhaust system passes through the occupant compartments.

(vi) The elements are not securely fastened with proper clamps and hangers.

(vii) The exposed exhaust system does not have an adequate heat shield or protective system.

DanPazich
04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
And here is the section on exhaust systems. Doesnt say anything about Cats, although the only thing i can see is:

"(2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels)."

I cant find Chapter 157 though.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.105.html

SonofaBish
04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
I say be safe and either have cats flanged in, or have a straight pipe welded through the cat...
on my '94 T/A this is exactly what i did, however, when you do that, you'll need to get a SLIGHTLY smaller radius pipe welded through, and it give the car sort of a "beckoning" noise... made my cammed LT1 sound more like a '69 z-28 or something... sounded really good in a sense, but also made it so it didn't sound real smooth... depends on what you want... i'd suggest just getting your cats hollowed out, and then flanged in... i had bad luck with hollowed out cats too... made sort of a vortex sound where the cat was...

TNTramair
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
you guys are wrong...read the law at pa dot or posted above....it specifically says no visual where there is emissions testing. ive had my car pass two years now without cats...no big deal at all. Inspection mechanics that know the law know its a loophole.

your correct to a point...there is NO visual inspection anymore for emissions, however, there IS a visual for all emission "components" for the state inspection portion of your inspection.therefore, you require to have Catalytic converters/egr/air/etc. anything that came originallty equiped in the car MUST be there to pass the STATE portion of the inspection. i work for a dealership and run into this day in and day out, beleive me when i tell you. if a Trooper pulls you over and notices you have no Cats on the car, he will impound your shit faster than you can say "..but officer". its illegal to drive a vehicle without cats in the state of PA.

with all that being said..i dont have em...just need to know where to go to get it through inspection..thats all.

TNTramair
04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
oh..and if you dont beleive me all you need to do is call your local state trooper baraks (sp?) and they will be glad to enlighten you on the matter. easiest way to know for sure. goodluck.