LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Posi not working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi not working?

Alright, I did a little burnout today from a stop. (I was asked to) After I was done, I saw only one tire mark. (A dark one ) But then I did another one down the road and just floored it without holding the break and there was two tire marks. What is with that? Why would both tires starting spinning if I just floored it, but when I'm holding my break it was only one tire?

I know when it's wet (or dry) and I'm on a turn, both tires are spinning. I can tell how the car slides around.

By the way, I have an A4 94 Z28 with the 3:23's.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Your clutches in the differential are probably worn out. Mine were the same way. I got a new Auburn Pro Series after I blew the stock one in pieces , and that was with a lightly bolt on modded motor on an Auto..
Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Here's how to check your differential:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/faq/#q2

See item 8.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If something is wrong with my differentional, will this slow my car down? Or, does it really not matter?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

If your Auburn cone has begun to slip, you will not get the excellent traction a posi-traction unit offer on hard (wheel spinning) take offs. If you are on a slippery surface, you will lose the advantage of better traction and enhanced control of your vehicle.

You can live a productive life with a failed posi as long as it does not effect your gears or bearings. You will know if this happens. In effect, you will eventually have what is called an open case differential; that which is on most rear wheel drive vehicles. Your posi is one of the features that makes your Camaro a sports car.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

so basically you will have a one tire fryer unless you get it fixed..and a bitch to drive in the rain
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But why did it work when I wasn't at a complete stop. It works when I just get on it without holding the break.

If something is wrong, how much will it be for me to fix?

By the way, this doesn't cause your car to be slower, does it?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Auburn cones eventually wear out. Since you have a 94 and we can assume you have the original differential, your car is probably reaching the service life of the Auburn. It may go a long time before it quits giving you positraction altogether. Right now it appears it is simply not working like a fresh unit.

As for going slower; as your differential loses its ability to apply torque evenly, you will have more tire spin and less traction during full power take off. So in that respect your car will become slower. Any acceleration that doesn't spin your wheels will not be affected and your car will be no slower.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Auburn cones eventually wear out. Since you have a 94 and we can assume you have the original differential, your car is probably reaching the service life of the Auburn. It may go a long time before it quits giving you positraction altogether. Right now it appears it is simply not working like a fresh unit.

As for going slower; as your differential loses its ability to apply torque evenly, you will have more tire spin and less traction during full power take off. So in that respect your car will become slower. Any acceleration that doesn't spin your wheels will not be affected and your car will be no slower.
Alright, so basically I'll be slower from a dig, because I will have more traction problems. But from a roll, my car will not be any different, correct?

Do you have any idea on how much this will be? I'm going to probably take it to a place called gearworks. (I think that is the name) When I had my old camaro (3rd gen) I had them put in an eaton posi with a 3:73 gear. That was pretty expensive...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Eaton is considered the best you can do and I have no doubt you paid nearly $1k. As for how much slower you will be if you end up spinning one tire on take off, I can't estimate that. If the tire spin is to the point you smoke it off the line then compact cars and small pickups will be giving you trouble.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i couldnt figure out why i was pulling such shitty 60' with my nitto dr's (2.0 hooking, 2.0 spinning) until i did a burnout infront of my friends work.... one wheel peel down the street. Can't wait to get a run with posi
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

One more thing for Camaro Owner; It wouldn't be expensive or difficult to change your rear end oil. I would pull the cover, check what the gear oil looks like and take a look inside the axle housing. At least one person I have read claims that by cleaning the differential and replacing the oil brought their Auburn came back to life. If it's worth the work and $15 to you then you might consider doing that. Be safe when you're under the car.

Just be sure not to use synthetic with the Auburn and believe it or not, the traction modifier which is generally recommended will cause a slipping posi to get worse. The only time you need the modifier is if you are experiencing chatter. Otherwise, a good grade of 75 x 90w gear lube could give you some extra time with your differential.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

You can also have a traction problem between gears also, increasing time. Mine would throw the left side out when it went from 1st to 2nd. With the Auburn Pro Series, it hooks and throws the whole car forward. The 3.73's help also.

Quick Reply: Posi not working?