Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Getting ready to order LS7 clutch... couple easy questions

Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to order LS7 clutch... couple easy questions

This is for my '01 T/A Hawk and I've been doing some reading here and what I've decided to do is the drill mod and an LS7 clutch from Fred Beans. The following parts I know for sure I need:

ls7clutchkit - clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
14061685 - pilot bearing

Now one question I have is this, I understand the slave cylinder was upgraded in '01 and my hawk only has about 44k miles on it. Do I really need to replace it? Can I just get the TO bearing instead and save myself $50? I have no issues with the clutch now other than it's starting to slip and a little bit of chatter at low speeds when engaging. The part # I came up with for just the bearing is 15705563. I just hate replacing stuff that I don't need to and the car isn't a daily anwyay. Anyone else done/heard of this? Per the FSM the TO bearing twists right off the slave cylinder and the new one snaps into place. Or should I just bite the bullet and replace the entire slave / to bearing assy with # 15046288 and be done with it and be $50 poorer, lol.

Also, does the kit come with an alignment tool or will I need to buy that as well? I already have an alignment tool for the T5 in my 89 GTA - 26 spline - is the T56 the same input shaft size or no?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Well, you could save yourself the $50 bucks now, then 2k miles after you have your clutch in, your slave could go out and you'd have to go through the process of pulling the transmission out again. So its really up to you. I recommend replacing everything while you are down there. When I bought my clutch, I replaced everything: clutch/fw/pp, new slave with new throwout bearing, new master, new pilot bearing. I even bought the bleeder line so I wouldnt even have to climb under my car to bleed the hydrolics. I figured I'd save myself all the headache and spend the extra little cash.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Teching In

50$ is nothing compared to the labour of doing it all again. Trust me, you spend the money on insurance.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well the labor "technically" doesn't cost me anything more than my own time. I'm hoping it's not something that takes too long, I had the 3rd gen clutch swap down to about 6-7 hours the last time I did one, although it didn't involve replacing/bleeding any hydraulics either and I know everything on the 4th gen is harder than the 3rd too, lol.

Any info on the T56 input shaft? Same as a T5?

Search this Thread