Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand and BBK Intake Owners IN HERE

Old 04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weiand and BBK Intake Owners IN HERE

Everyone talks of how much heat soak comews with these intakes. I can see the point made, however the air traveling through the air box to the intake wouldn't have enough time to drastically raise temp would it?

My second question is I am a nitrous car, so with the cold charge (-129.7*F) i should actually cool down the metal of the intake right?

I am considering the weiand and your imput will be greatly helpful. I'm on my third LS6 now Back fire blew the 1st I dropped the 2nd the one I have currently (1 month) is discolored and looking brittle on the support coloum inside.

Thanks for any information you have to offer. ~Derek
Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Weiand intake and it's absolute crap about heat soak. On a 500hp engine you *may* lose 3 hp compared to plastic.

Think about about the volume of air and the speed as it passes through the intake. Plus you can port match the intake ports to the cylinder head.

I actually felt a slight boost in low/mid range torque when I swapped for the Weiand. No difference up top. It still pulls like a raped ape. I have 420 rwhp N/A currently.

I'd recommend the Weiand! If I had the choice I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I don't know about the BBK design, and honestly there aren't many who have it.

Plus they dropped the prices on the Weiand manifolds now. They used to be $8xx for polished and now it's $5xx. I traded my stock LS6 for a new satin Weiand and polished it myself. (not recommended.)
Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks firehawk, so you acutallu felt a low end boost in performance with the weiand stock vs. stock LS6?
Thats good i was wanting it for its strenght if it possibly didn't loose that much hp, but I can live with a gain down low
Old 04-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
Thanks firehawk, so you acutallu felt a low end boost in performance with the weiand stock vs. stock LS6?
Thats good i was wanting it for its strenght if it possibly didn't loose that much hp, but I can live with a gain down low
Yep, I didn't really do much port matching. The port outlets are smaller than the cylinder intake it feeds. Since you have a higher velocity of air (from smaller port dimensions) shooting into the cylinder it boosts the low/mid range.

You can port match as large as you want... I simply made the walls glass smooth, I didn't have the time (I'd already spent 3 weeks polishing the outside and 2 months on the rest of the motor, I wanted to drive the b!tch)

When I add the Procharger/different cam later this year I'll probably port match the intake.

I will tell you that the intake is a 35 pound pig. You will not be hurting it with a nitrous backfire. Oh yeah, I had to make my own egr block-off plate. (trianglar) When I got my manifold they weren't yet made by the company. I think TBYRNE has them in stock now.

Here's a close-up of the egr plate. Thin 1/8" aluminum plate with one hole drilled for the hold down.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else own one?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

I have the weiand.. no personal experience with it yet.. just in the process of an engine re-build and that is one of my upgrades.. Hope all goes well!! i love the way it looks.. should look very cool in the chevelle...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a BBK from here... as well as a ported 80mm BBK TB coming soon. The only problem is it will be June before I get the #'s. I will need to dyno it w/ the LS1 intake, then swap to the BBK set up and then tune it. Right now w/ the LS1 I'm putting 406/406 to the wheels on a Mustang Dyno. I'm going to do the before and after/tuning on a Dynojet.

The heat soak has me baffled as well, they may have a SLIGHT advantage unless you are ROAD RACING for like who knows how long. How much power does an LT1 lose?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zentenk
How much power does an LT1 lose?
How much power is lost on every small block between 1955 ~ 1997?

I havn't noticed any loss on my LS1.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Then there's this. About $450 polished with fuel rails.

http://www.professional-products.com...oldsLS1LS2.php
Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

Does the Holley/Ligenfelter/Weiand have an removable plate on the bottom of the intake manifold? I was wondering if maybe you could cut a peice of composite material into the shape of the one on the BBK and that could reduce some internal heating at idle.

Last edited by Zentenk; 05-14-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Heatsoak=Hype
Estimate the manifold for its potential Hp output or bling.
Firehawk, your bling is insane man! I had to put
Old 05-14-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Weiand. As mentioned above, heat soak is BS. I bored out the inlet to 80+ mm & did the same to my TB. Port matched the runners. It does have a removable base plate.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

have any on you guys read the hotrod mag issue where they test the ls6, FAST, ls1, truck manifold, and weiland/lingenfelter? the weiland came up short....put out the lowest #'s of all....Fast was best, truck mani flowed VERY good, but is crazy tall, ls6 did well alittle better than the truck, then the stock ls1, then the weiland...just letting you know. I think the weiland would be much better with some port matching and alot of BOOST
Old 05-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I have a Weiand intake and it's absolute crap about heat soak. On a 500hp engine you *may* lose 3 hp compared to plastic.

Think about about the volume of air and the speed as it passes through the intake. Plus you can port match the intake ports to the cylinder head.

I actually felt a slight boost in low/mid range torque when I swapped for the Weiand. No difference up top. It still pulls like a raped ape. I have 420 rwhp N/A currently.

I'd recommend the Weiand! If I had the choice I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I don't know about the BBK design, and honestly there aren't many who have it.

Plus they dropped the prices on the Weiand manifolds now. They used to be $8xx for polished and now it's $5xx. I traded my stock LS6 for a new satin Weiand and polished it myself. (not recommended.)

I bought the same manifold. Did the stock fuel rail assemble fit over or did you have to change or modify?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98darkbird
have any on you guys read the hotrod mag issue where they test the ls6, FAST, ls1, truck manifold, and weiland/lingenfelter? the weiland came up short....put out the lowest #'s of all....Fast was best, truck mani flowed VERY good, but is crazy tall, ls6 did well alittle better than the truck, then the stock ls1, then the weiland...just letting you know. I think the weiland would be much better with some port matching and alot of BOOST

In the stickeys there are also comparisons. The author states that he belives the limit of the Weiand is the inlet diameter. It can be bored to about 81mm without much effort. It's never gonna get to 90mm, but, I'd say there are gains @ 81mm w/ port matched runners.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

I figured all that crap about heat soak was bs. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm leaning towards the Weiand to replace my LS6 because I'm paranoid about the thing exploding when I spray it.Thats all I need is for my plastic intake to explode and burn my car to the ground.

Plus it looks great when polished!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Well if your blowing apart plastic intakes and your spraying, the only choice is the aluminum ones. The spray will cool any heat soak anyway.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:29 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .......

I have one on my car it seems to work fine on my turbo app. Never ran the ls6 so could not tell you if there was a difference.

Originally Posted by coastalrap
I bought the same manifold. Did the stock fuel rail assemble fit over or did you have to change or modify?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coastalrap
It bolted up perfectly, no sweat... other than polishing it from a rough satin casting.

If I had to do it again, I wouldv'e just bought it polished and then "brightened" up the shine.

Thanks for the compliments. ~Joshua
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I think Tbyrne has polished holley for around $500?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weiand and BBK Intake Owners IN HERE