LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Underdrive Pulley Step by Step Install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive Pulley Step by Step Install??

ok guys i purchased a underdrive puley for my z28..i have done the search method and found alot of info on installing the crank pulley but i couldnt find a step by step...and i also saw a few people had mentioned that you needed to use a new crankshaft bolt to hold the pulley on since the stocker is good for one hold...can anyone clarify this?? and where can i get them...is there anything else neccessary besides the pulley puller....and is 200ft lbs of torque good for reseating it..im really looking for a step by step...thanx in advance
Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Um, when I installed my pulley it was easy and it came with 3 new longer bolts.

Before you even begin, make sure to leave the car in gear and set the parking brake.

1. Remove the Serpentine Belt. You should have a new belt that is either 59 1/2" or 60" long.

2. Loosen the 3 bolts that hold the stock balancer on. I did this with a 12" rachet.

3. Once you have the 3 bolts out, you SHOULD just be able to coax the balancer off by giving it a couple light taps with a small hammer and wiggling it. Before you pull it off, make a note of where the little arrow is pointing because you need to re-install it the same way.

4. Install your new pulley behind the balancer and make sure to line up the arrows on the pulleys.

5. I started the new bolts a few turns to keep the pulley and balancer lined up when I re-installed them. I just lightly tapped on it with a small hammer until it was back flat up against the hub and then tightened each of the 3 bolts to 65ft/lbs.

6. Install new belt.

7. Done. Start car, watch voltage gauge sit in the yellow area at idle..
Old 04-23-2006, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine has the 140amp Altenator, it never has gone in the yellow at all. I don't know how everyone elses does, and I idle at 650 rpm.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

so 65ftlbs is what the bolts should be torqued to?? and you didnt use a pulley puller..is this a must or not..just wondering...damn i bought mine used so i have to get the bolts that are about a half inch longer....anyone know where i can get them???