Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No first gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No first gear

Im having trouble with my auto transmission in my 94 T/A. I couldnt figure out why my car was so slow on take-off, and then was told by a mechanic that my car wasnt catching first gear, so I was taking off in second. That explains things. Anyone know the best way to go about correcting this problem, or will it require a new transmission? (Im female, by the way, so please use layman terms.)
Old 04-23-2006, 02:07 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gilley_77
Im having trouble with my auto transmission in my 94 T/A. I couldnt figure out why my car was so slow on take-off, and then was told by a mechanic that my car wasnt catching first gear, so I was taking off in second. That explains things. Anyone know the best way to go about correcting this problem, or will it require a new transmission? (Im female, by the way, so please use layman terms.)
Ask your mechanic to put a scan tool on it and see if there are any performance or electrical transmission codes. I could be just a solenoid. Also in first gear both the A&B solenoids should be commanded on. Tell him to check that. Also what is the condition of the oil? Did he say it smelled burnt?These are a few things we will need to know to determine if you really need a transmission.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Like Vince said. Your only other option will be a rebuild. By your car being 12 yrs old, your tranny is on borrowed time. How many miles are on your car?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Only 89K on the car. He did suggest solenoids, but I wanted to get another opinion. He said he reset the computers, and it seems to catch 1st gear every once in a while. I hope this does the trick!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

I'm having this exact same issue all of the sudden today. Ever get it figured out, gilley? Hmm....