General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad lifter? Need opnion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad lifter? Need opnion

So my friend just started his 95 TA after over a year of sitting. It has this knock and it would get really loud when you gave it gas. The car runs like *** but thats because the gas is over a year old in it. The car had problems starting, would usually take 8 seconds to start. I changed the OPTI Spark in it thinking that was the problem cause it seemed like it was missfireing but it didnt fix the knock. After being frustrated and not figuring out the problem i decided to take it for a ride. Drove it around the block opend it up a few times and now the knock is gone. It seemed to me one of the lifters was stuck and its not anymore after I drove it. It still does kinda have a light tick now but no more loud knock. Would anyone say it was a lifter problem? I cant feel anything on the intake or valve covers either if that also helps. Anyone give me some advice please.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely you had a lifter go flat (all the oil drained out of it). It happens with hydraulic lifters after sitting that long. 2 things I would do, change the oil, that might get rid of the last little tick, then get some fresh gas. You should be ok after that. If you still have the small tick, try some 10w-30 oil, the thicker oil may take out some more tick. But its definately normal to have the knock you talked about, and driving it got enough oil to the upper end to pump the lifters up. hope that helps.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea, and the misfire thing, will be caused by a flat lifter.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that sounds good. Im gona try that durring the week. Thanks for the advice