Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure how much longer trans is going to hold up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not sure how much longer trans is going to hold up!

I've been having some problems with my trans lately. At first, I posted up the symptoms of what was going on, and everyone said either u-joints, or slack in the drive line. Well, I checked the joints and their fine. Now, at WOT, it acts weird. It acts like it want's to shift, but then keeps going and finally shifts without hitting the rev limiter. At low speeds everything seems fine, except for the clunk between 2-3, (slack in DL). But when at interstate speeds, and I shift from drive to OD; I can almost swear it slipping. Is there anyway to know for sure it's going. And, if it is, what is the best route to get it fixed; rebuild it, or get a new one. I know they are pretty expensive, but how much would either be. Thanks..
Old 04-23-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

When you shift to OD at interstate speeds? Do you mean you shift it yourself?

The computer should shift your transmission into 4th gear at about 35mph.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
When you shift to OD at interstate speeds? Do you mean you shift it yourself?

The computer should shift your transmission into 4th gear at about 35mph.

The 2.73 gear kills me. I leave it in drive until I get up the rpm's alittle while on the ramp, and then I put it in OD, and leave it there. I never shift through any other gears manually though.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont you have a stall? I thought you did. With a converter its hard to tell if it slipping,because the converter is slipping. The fact that it is still shifting at WOT without hitting the rev. lim. is good. I would keep a close eye on your fluid,level and smell. Also may want a tranny temp gage. Sounds like everything is ok but seems alittle fishy also.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 SS Blackattack
Dont you have a stall? I thought you did. With a converter its hard to tell if it slipping,because the converter is slipping. The fact that it is still shifting at WOT without hitting the rev. lim. is good. I would keep a close eye on your fluid,level and smell. Also may want a tranny temp gage. Sounds like everything is ok but seems alittle fishy also.

It has the stock convreter, and I've never adj. anything on the trans, what so ever. I need to change the fluid, I don't think it has ever been changed and it's pushing mid 80k. Every time I check my fluids: oil, trans, radiator, etc... the trans seems to be fine, where it's supposed to be. Could the fact that the fluid hasn't been changed affect the shifts?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn...i change mine every 3-4 months
Old 04-24-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. If its breaking down it will change the line pressure and hamper the cooling process.