Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rims

I used the guide on removing the clear coat on my rims. They all look good but one. It had fine scratches all over on the actual metal. 3M fine cut didn't remove em. Should I use a 2000 grit paper and wetsand? Not sure if I might even need to go with something more abrasive. Any ideas would be great
Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

My rims arent factory, but I've wet sanded with 400 and worked my way up to 1600 for some scratches I had before. You cant even tell on my rims I sanded them. So depending on how bad the scratches are will determine on how course you want to go. It just takes more labor the more coarse you go, or the deeper the scratch.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
My rims arent factory, but I've wet sanded with 400 and worked my way up to 1600 for some scratches I had before. You cant even tell on my rims I sanded them. So depending on how bad the scratches are will determine on how course you want to go. It just takes more labor the more coarse you go, or the deeper the scratch.
Well, I went with an 800 grit and then to 2000. I think I need some "in between paper" since there is still alot of scratches left from the 800. But luckily got all the original junk removed....

My other question is, I'm using a 1200rpm drill with a powerball. Is this sufficient? What polish/rubbing compound should I use?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually used a couple different buffing wheels after sanding. I used the black and white rouges. I was using 3" buffing wheels about a 1/4" wide with a hand drill. Then once I did that I polished them out by hand.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, once you sand all the scratches out... work your way back up in grits to around 2000. Be sure to wetsand with all grits when you're doing it. Once you up to 2000, then you can polish them by hand or with powerball and see how it looks... if it still isn't to your liking, you will need to get the drill buff kit from sears with some rouges/compounds.

I use a pretty fast drill... a dewalt 2500+ rpm corded electric drill. If you find the 1200 isn't cutting it, you can pick up a fast drill to make things a little easier on you. They really aren't too expensive, I think mine was 39.97 a few months back.

Quick Reply: Help with rims