PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed converters and all emissions with no tuning?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed converters and all emissions with no tuning?????

Hello I just finished up putting the LT's and a Xpipe on with LS6 intake and have not gotten the car tuned for these things as of yet. I did put in the O2 sims but that is all. What I am wondering is obviously the SES light is on but I want to know what effect it is having on my car with the egr and air removed? I was told that it would go into a "SAFE" mod and only have so much timing and would richen up the fuel curve to prevent and damage. If this is true would it also mean that my car is not really runnig any better than it did before the mods? I have driven it and the drivability seems fine but at wot it leaves a little to be dissired. T I A
Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it just throws the code so that you fail emissions test but otherwise the engine should try and run normally.

Most people just turn off the functionality of the codes but that software to run the AIR and CATS is still in the operating system of the computer. It just doesn't trip the MIL.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year car? (guessing 00 or previous by the LS6 intake comment?)

you'll set an EGR code for that
xpipe... you'll set rear O2 codes (but u have simms so no code)
Air removed will set a code

whomever told you any of the above would put you in "safe" mode is a moron

car will run fine for the most part...

Safe mode on these cars is speed density or open loop (if maf fails, safe mode is speed density... if front o2 fails, safe mode is open loop)

if you go into speed density... then you're forced to use the low octane timing tables....