General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Calling all A/C Experts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all A/C Experts!

The previous owner of my 00 trans am remove the a/c lines and compressor. I really would like to get a/c working again, and I know its going to be a long expensive trip back to it due to likely contamination. (He didn't block any of the ports)

What are the things that absolutely must be replaced, what things can be checked, and what can be saved?

Anyone try this before?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, noone work on their a.c? How about some pics of the a/c lines, I'm not sure I even have all the lines, particularly the line that somes from the firewall (evap) over to the condensor.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Obviously you are going to need a new/rebuilt compressor, lines and accumulator. Also get an orifice tube, pressure switch and assorted O-rings, nuts, bolts etc. You can probably get a GM kit at your ac supply place. Try to avoid the dealer$$$
I would get a new evaporator and condenser along with the rest.
You might get away with flushing the the old evap, but I don't think the condenser can be flushed properly.
It really is best just to bite the bullet and buy new stuff.
You're going to need some gauges and a vacuum pump.
I will be expensive but worth it in the long run. You will add 2k to resale at least.

I hate it when some kid takes the AC off his "race" car
Old 04-24-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Yea, irks me. I didn't realize how much it would cost to redo it. Groan. All that will run over $1000 as it is. Doh!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:46 PM
...with cheese.

I've got an entire system for sale for $200+S/H. Compressor, Condensor, Accummulator, all lines... everything. PM me.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, it depends on how much stuff you got left. You can reuse the lines. Go aftermarket on the accumulator, condenser and get a rebuilt compressor. You can find damn near all of it at a local parts store especially the small stuff like O-rings, orifice tube and switches.
Inventory what you got.
Price what you need.
Stay away from the dealer if possible.
Buy a cheap set of gauges and rent a vacuum pump.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Armageddon
I've got an entire system for sale for $200+S/H. Compressor, Condensor, Accummulator, all lines... everything. PM me.
Is the accumulator new? Is the condenser new?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Do you think the compressor would be bad by sitting in a closet in his house?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tcossair
Do you think the compressor would be bad by sitting in a closet in his house?
If it's not broken and metal shavings are not everywhere then give it a go. Put you fingers over the suction and discharge holes and make sure that it does what it should. Never buy a used accumulator never. Do you know why the ac was removed? Was it not working? Or just some "weight saving" ****.

Edit.
I would stay away from a used condenser too, probably packed with metal bits after the compressor let go. Do it once, do it right.

Last edited by Carter Hays; 04-24-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Its a low mileage car, 53k, and he removed it when he installed LT headers because it "got in his way" along with the usual weight savings crap. Grr..

I definately will replace the accumulator. (How do they seal those when you buy them to begin with anyway?)
Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its a low mileage car, 53k, and he removed it when he installed LT headers because it "got in his way" along with the usual weight savings crap. Grr..

I definately will replace the accumulator. (How do they seal those when you buy them to begin with anyway?)
They probably assemble them then vacuum them down to pull the moisture out of the desiccant. That is the last part I put on before I start to vacuum the system down.
Use the lines, flush the evap and I'm not sure about the condenser on these cars but you can google to find out if they can be flushed. Spin the compressor make sure it sucks and blows put it together and pull a vacuum the longer the better. Overnight is great! Then see if it works. As long as you have all the parts, match up what you can afford and buy those components new. Ac systems don't like to be left "open"
Old 04-24-2006, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the great info. Don't happen to have any pics of the engine bay showing how the lines go do you?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, where and how to I replace the orifice tube. Autozone seems ot have a special loan a tool for that.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the great info. Don't happen to have any pics of the engine bay showing how the lines go do you?
No sorry. Once you look at how the lines are formed in relation to the compressor it should be self explanatory. The orifice tube if it is still there can probably be pulled out of the evap with slim needle nose pliers, take a flash light and look down the holes. After flushing remember to put the correct amount of oil in the system. Drain out what is in the used compressor put the same amount of fresh oil back in etc.. If you buy a new or rebuilt they usually come dry so add some oil and spin by hand then use the oil charge cans to add the rest. Good luck it's not hard once you start looking at it, things will fall into place.

Edit
There are filter kits you can place in the lines to catch any metal it might be tossing around since you are using used stuff look into one. Good insurance.

Last edited by Carter Hays; 04-24-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

I'm starting to think I'm missing a piece that goes into the top line of the condensor. I spent the afternon trying to piece it together for reference. I'll probably have to go checkout a trans am on the lot somewhere at a dealer to be sure.

I think my used compressor is already dry (do you drain it by just turning it upside down) so I'll have to figure all that later.

Want to come to indiana and help out lol? :-)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
You will add 2k to resale at least.

I hate it when some kid takes the AC off his "race" car

2k to the resale? VERY doubtful it would ad even 1k. And there are many reasons to take AC off, one would be to de-clutter the bay, also the whole system weights 50lb's, which is halfway to another 10th in the 1/4. I'm gonna rip my **** out soon, I can't wait to get it out of there, I just tried using it for the first time, b/c I didn't wanna take the time to take my t-tops off of it, and it worked for like 10 mins, then went hot. Why spend 200 bucks or more to have a "comfort" option? Screw A/C Only reason why I would have it would be if I lived in like AZ or TX or something.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
2k to the resale? VERY doubtful it would ad even 1k. And there are many reasons to take AC off, one would be to de-clutter the bay, also the whole system weights 50lb's, which is halfway to another 10th in the 1/4. I'm gonna rip my **** out soon, I can't wait to get it out of there, I just tried using it for the first time, b/c I didn't wanna take the time to take my t-tops off of it, and it worked for like 10 mins, then went hot. Why spend 200 bucks or more to have a "comfort" option? Screw A/C Only reason why I would have it would be if I lived in like AZ or TX or something.
I live in Texas Have fun.

Edit...

Just try and see how much of a hit you take on resale with a car that's A/C don't work down here You're building a race car not everyone in the F-body community is doing that some of us like fast comfortable daily driver.

Last edited by Carter Hays; 04-24-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm starting to think I'm missing a piece that goes into the top line of the condensor. I spent the afternon trying to piece it together for reference. I'll probably have to go checkout a trans am on the lot somewhere at a dealer to be sure.

I think my used compressor is already dry (do you drain it by just turning it upside down) so I'll have to figure all that later.

Want to come to indiana and help out lol? :-)
Probably the pressure switch/sensor attached to the liquid line. look for a connector with red/black, gray, purple wires that plug into it. That's one of the small parts that get lost when people do this type of stuff.

Place the compressor over a measuring cup a turn the clutch and pulley together and see how much oil comes out the discharge side. Don't worry if you don't see any it is just a good reference point.

Sorry man in Texas
Old 04-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
I live in Texas Have fun.

Edit...

Just try and see how much of a hit you take on resale with a car that's A/C don't work down here You're building a race car not everyone in the F-body community is doing that some of us like fast comfortable daily driver.
Im not building a race car just yet, I daily drive my car. So far its been 80 and muggy and I would still rather have the sun beating in on me b/c I've got my tops off than A/c But it at most gets 105 and muggy as **** here, so its not that bad I guess.. I seem to have come off a little strong, I just seen that comment and took that as calling everyone that yanked their air a ricer..
Old 04-24-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Im not building a race car just yet, I daily drive my car. So far its been 80 and muggy and I would still rather have the sun beating in on me b/c I've got my tops off than A/c But it at most gets 105 and muggy as **** here, so its not that bad I guess.. I seem to have come off a little strong, I just seen that comment and took that as calling everyone that yanked their air a ricer..
No you got me wrong man I understand what you are after. We would die down here without it on our daily drivers. Sorry If I came across like an ***.