Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a4 vs m6

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 vs m6

i knowthis has beentalked aboout this a lot on here but im about to buy a camaro and thers NOT AT ALL many 6spds aorund to choose from..i love driving a stick and i know there faster.. but will i be pleased with the auto's performance? any advise is helpfull. is there any1 with an a4 that whises theu had a stick or vise versa? im ina big mess tryin to decide what trans i want... thanks guys
Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

With the LS1 F-Bodies there really isn't too much of a performance decrease with the automatic, and with a few mods (stall, gears, etc) you would be faster than an M6. Also, with an automatic, you get guaranteed consistency, which you do not get with a manual. Automatic also has an advantage in heavy stop and go traffic. Plus the A4's seem to be a lot better on the weak F-Body rear end.

However, a lot of people go with the manual for a few reason. One of them, and arguably the most important, is the "fun factor". I find that manauls are a million times more fun than an auto. Sure, if I was going to build an all-out terror for the strip, I would go with an automatic. However, if I am buying a daily driver and both weekend track star, I would much rather go with the manual.

So, if you don't mind trading in the "fun factor" and a little bit of fuel economy for a car that will be more consistent and possibly faster at the track, then an automatic isn't a bad idea at all. The problem for me, however, is giving up the ability to shread through the gears.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by then00b
With the LS1 F-Bodies there really isn't too much of a performance decrease with the automatic, and with a few mods (stall, gears, etc) you would be faster than an M6. Also, with an automatic, you get guaranteed consistency, which you do not get with a manual. Automatic also has an advantage in heavy stop and go traffic. Plus the A4's seem to be a lot better on the weak F-Body rear end.

However, a lot of people go with the manual for a few reason. One of them, and arguably the most important, is the "fun factor". I find that manauls are a million times more fun than an auto. Sure, if I was going to build an all-out terror for the strip, I would go with an automatic. However, if I am buying a daily driver and both weekend track star, I would much rather go with the manual.

So, if you don't mind trading in the "fun factor" and a little bit of fuel economy for a car that will be more consistent and possibly faster at the track, then an automatic isn't a bad idea at all. The problem for me, however, is giving up the ability to shread through the gears.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
my god this was well put.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Teching In

like how much does the time's go .. auto vs stick .. both being completly stock
Old 04-24-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

13.5 Avg. for an A4, 13.2 for a 6-Speed. I agree with the n00b for the most part, it doesnt take any more than a stall to make a A4 beat a M6, and the A4 gets worse gas milage.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6racer
like how much does the time's go .. auto vs stick .. both being completly stock
Well that depends how good of a driver you are with the stick... Technically speaking, the stick is capable of a faster time than the automatic (I have heard of about 12.9 being possible). I'd say on average the automatics are slower by about a tenth or two, however they are much more consistent. And like I stated above, it doesn't take much for an auto to have an edge over a manual.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Also the manuals are much stronger, but they are harder on the rear end. Auto guys can go with a 12-bolt rear and be pretty well set until their tranny commits suicide. For a serious manual car at the strip you will need a Ford 9" rear.

If you're not planning on severely modifying the car, pick what you like best and don't worry whether it will beat the next guy. There will always be someone faster but who's to say they're having more fun than you are?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh **** here we go...*distributes flame suits to everyone in the thread*

If you are concerned with 1/4 mile times and nothing else then a stalled automatic is for you. If you won't be driving this car on heavy traffic and it will see a lot of curvy backroads, then you will want a stick. Stick is for fun, and an automatic is for wringing out every last tenth from the vehicle.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

If you're planning on using it as a drag car, go with the A4.

If its going to be a street car/daily driver, I'd go with manual for sure. Its just a hell of a lot more fun and involving to drive than an auto. Not to mention it gets better gas mileage, is faster in stock form, and will always put more power to the wheels than an auto
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

From your first post it sounds like a M6 is what you really want. If that is what you are looking for then why settle on an A4. I know a M6 can be hard to find, but if you settle for an A4 then you may always wonder what that M6 would be like, or how much fun you would be having with that M6. Don't make a decision you will end up regretting, just be patient and you will find the car you are looking for.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 6racer
i knowthis has beentalked aboout this a lot on here.....
yes it has, and you'd be wise to read the hundreds of posts and opinions about it in that poll thread that we've got going still within the first 2 pages.