General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low oil, rough idle

Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default low oil- rough idle...

i am due for an oil change in about 600 miles....my change oil light came on

recently and my car is beginning to idle really rough....i checked my oil and it

is lowww....im getting it changed today but why the rough idle...thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

If you're doing standard oil change intervals (3000 miles) I'd first try figuring out where the oil is going... then I'd worry about the idle. I've known one person who ran her car knowing it was so low on oil it didn't register on the dipstick! She then mentioned the engine kept shutting itself off. Apparently it was low enough on oil that the engine would jam up. After cooling off a bit it would start back up for more abuse and repeat the cycle.

Maybe your rough idle has something to do with the oil shortage... maybe you need new wires and plugs... your fuel filter may be in need of replacement. I would leave the car parked and walk to the local gas station to buy a quart of oil before I'd drive it across the street for an oil change. The $1 quart of oil is so cheap: it would be ridiculous to risk damaging your motor to save the dollar.

Once the oil is changed, plan on changing the plugs, checking the wires, and putting on a new fuel filter. See www.installuniversity.com for information on how to best do these tasks. If those don't address your idle issues follow it up with another post.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Teching In

check the vale cover gaskets ,mine had the pass. side leaking a bit . it would idle a little ruff due to the low oil .had them replaced with the plug wires & plugs. changed to a mobli 10w-30 full syd. oil and it fixed the idle and the low oil light.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine started to idle rough a bit but oil is fine, i think i just need another tune. has been bout a year. think so?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

well i got my oil changed today ran pretty good for about 5 miles.....

got home it sat for about 30 min...drove around and it was rough not just at idle but

all the time.. then it started shaking alot SES light came on and it was almost dieing

when i was off the gas and it was verrrry slow and sluggish..and vibrating ALOT..taking her in tomorro
Old 04-26-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How's your battery? How's your PVC system? Are your MAF wires dirty?
How old is your air filter? Do you take care of your car? Do you always use a mechanic? Have you had a long period of trouble free time and suddenly now there is a problem?

Last edited by KENS_SS_4; 04-26-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/\
l lol lots of ?s, but dont feel bad man, ive got perfect oil amount but lately mines idleing rough and my psi is low, i think my pumps goin....
Old 04-26-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

nvm its my damn fuel system again...about a month ago i git my fuel system flushed

tank dropped an new **** from the filter up because my fuel system had **** in

it....well its back clogged and stopped cylinder 7 again it only clogs this cylinder....

WTF is wrong with my car!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low oil, rough idle