10s with ported LS6 heads and TRex???

Old 04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 10s with ported LS6 heads and TRex???

I'm looking at doing this install over the summer-let me know what you think I might be capable of once I get some traction and get used to driving it:

Ported LS1/6 heads unmilled with stock valves
TRex cam
LS2 chain and LS6 oil pump
Patriot dual gold springs and Comp R lifters
LS6 intake with SLP Lid and K&N
ASP Underdrive pulley
Fuddle 4000 converter and B&M tranny cooler
3.73 gears on GM rebuilt 10bolt
SLP LT's with bullet mufflers @ ends-no catback or y-pipe
E/T streets on lightweight prostar rims and skinnies up front
250-300lbs total weight reduction (wheels included)

No suspension mods yet, but I feel they'll be done shortly after all this is done along with some Moser axles and a rear-end girdle. I'm still getting all the parts gathered up so I can do the install on all these parts at once.
What times do you think I should expect?

Also, do you all think a fuel pump and larger injectors are absolutely required for this setup from the getgo, or could I wait to install those with the *planned* N20 setup?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

i think you'll need more converter, more gear and a SHITLOAD of suspension to achieve 10s with that combo. i also feel that you will need larger injectors. you might consider a true dual + x system to promote scavenging @ high rpm, also.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Well this is going to be a max effort LS1/sick performing/sounding/DD setup. I would like to stick with the 4000 stall and 3.73 gears. If I can't touch 10s I'll still be more than happy with 11s.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Well this is going to be a max effort LS1/sick performing/sounding/DD setup.
then why do you have a fuddle , jk, you need to get a bigger tb too or at least a ported stock one, and some sort of ram air (it really helps)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does the car weigh?

With suspension and a good tune and about 3300 or less RW you should hit 10s. Bottom 11s worst case. This cam has not been in many head cars so who knows for sure. but this cam only has gone deep 10s many times.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Well this is going to be a max effort LS1/sick performing/sounding/DD setup. I would like to stick with the 4000 stall and 3.73 gears. If I can't touch 10s I'll still be more than happy with 11s.
I'm in the same position you're in. I'm trying to hit a 10.9999 in my 99 on mt dragradials with a similar combo. Im going with the prc ls6 st. 1 cnc'd heads and a trex. Ive got a 4400 tci convertor in my car with the 3.73s. I may change to a 4.10 gear instead to help keep the car at the upper rpms because I know thats where it's going to shine. Something to consider with yours as well. Id love to get my hands on a used spohn adj. torque arm and a beefier rear swaybar too.
What does your car weigh? Mines 3620 w/ me in it....I'd love to lose an extra 100 lbs out of it. Do you plan on running different injectors as well or do you know if thatd be necessary?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

when get all that stuff done, might be the time to sell your ls6 intake and with a FAST 90 combo, get it port-matched with ur heads. and maybe sell your SLP headers for some Kooks stepped headers, or some QTP's with the nice HVMC... also i dont know how long that 10 bolt will last so make sure u got some $$ for a 12 bolt... if/when u blow up the 10 bolt up the gears at that point to 4.10's or maybe 4.56's if u can... do it up, i'm interested to see how the cam performs with those heads!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

^ i agreed it's really interesting Combo but ya should get 4.10 or abit higher buddy

Good luck !!!

peace
Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Well as a daily driver what RPMs would I be at with 4.10s at the following speeds:

Or, just point me to a calculator and I can figure it out. I was originally planning on just 3.73s to try and salvage the last of my MPG that I hadn't murdered.

As far as weight saving this is what I've done/got planned:
I've already stripped out the interior (no back seats, carpet, sound deadening or spare). I'm planning on a VFN hood, bullet mufflers at the end of the y-pipe or headers to save the weight of the catback, kirkey aluminum seats, no swaybar and weld or other drag racing wheel and front skinnies. I don't know what that puts me at, but thats all. I'm keeping my air bags and bumper supports, this IS a daily driven LS1.

If I don't get 10s it won't be the end of the world, as long as its lowwww 11s. I'd like to be able to at least spray into 10s.

As for the rear-its a newly rebuit 10bolt so it better last for a bit. I'm going to get a girdle and stronger axles (possibly Moser).

It may be the end of the summer before I have enough money budgeted aside for the heads, cam, supporting valvetrain mods, install and tune. I'll be sure to post numbers as soon as they come-but I wouldn't hold your breath for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10s with ported LS6 heads and TRex???