LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Max Life vs Synthetic??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Max Life vs Synthetic??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok this isnt a conventional vs synthetic thread but i need to know which is gonna be better for the z...a synthetic oil or a oil thats designed to condition seals in an older engine (ie: max life)..its had the oil changed every three thousand and thats why i believe it runs so good....but i want to give it as much protection as i can..so what are the pros and cons..any advice is appreciated
Old 04-25-2006, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Valvaline makes a Max Life synthetic
Old 04-25-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

im just afraid of developing a leak with it ten years old by swapping to a synthetic..i was thinking a max life style would be better on the seals
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Leaks some times happen with synthetic oils but it is alot better for your engine then regular oil. Try it next oil change and if you like keep using. You can also look into amsoil they have some of the best oils on the market.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i heard amsoil is the bomb along with royal purple..dont wanna spend quite that kinda change yet though..just dont wanna take the chance in developing a leak since i havent noticed one yet..doesnt mean it aint there
Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alot of people say to stick with the oil you have been using, but in a high performance application, I would definitely switch to a synthetic. They just protect the engine better, they dont boil or foam as easliy either. Yes they do cause some leaks to surface, but only because they remove gunk in the engine that may have "scabbed" on a gasket sealing a leak. But I think regularly checking the oil and using the synthetic is a really good trade off.
I useto use Mobil1 10W30 in my TA, I liked it alot, then I switched to Royal purple, and man I love it. It seems like the car is alot smoother, stays cooler, and I get more miles per gallon. (1-2mpg).

Quick Reply: Max Life vs Synthetic??