Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG without cats, possible to stop rasp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG without cats, possible to stop rasp?

I'm getting GMMG and QTP headers. I've heard an ORY causes alot of rasp with GMMG but what if you put something in place of the cats. Maybe Bullets or something after the y-pipe merges or something? Or would it be easier just to get custom Ypipe and random tech cats? I'd kinda like to get rid of AIR and EGR when I do this, so just trying to get some options.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are going to have rasp no matter what with that setup and no cats. I have the gmmg with longtubes AND cats, and there is still a little bit of rasp. It's not bad though, and I don't mind it at all. With good cats like the new Magnaflow metallic cats comming out, there really is no reason to use an offroad pipe anyways. They flow 600 cfms! I think this is pretty close to what a straight piece of pipe flows. Just throw a couple of these on, and that should take care of most of the rasp.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I think you are going to have rasp no matter what with that setup and no cats. I have the gmmg with longtubes AND cats, and there is still a little bit of rasp. It's not bad though, and I don't mind it at all. With good cats like the new Magnaflow metallic cats comming out, there really is no reason to use an offroad pipe anyways. They flow 600 cfms! I think this is pretty close to what a straight piece of pipe flows. Just throw a couple of these on, and that should take care of most of the rasp.
+1 I don't think that you will have any problems.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Throw in a SLP Loudmouth II race muffler in the I-Pipe and kiss the rasp good bye. I did it to mine and I love it. There isn't any rasp and I lost a whopping 3 ponies to the wheels.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just run a cutout with no cats. IMO it's one of the best sounding LS1's I've ever heard. The rasp is non existant and it's nice and deep, and it also echoes.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Is it ok to use cats without the AIR?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

how do you say, "machine gun rasp" throw on some duals

Quick Reply: GMMG without cats, possible to stop rasp?