Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I serviced my 10 bolt tonight...

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I serviced my 10 bolt tonight...

I know, another "my 10 bolt is making noise thread....

I decided to pull the cover, just so I could look around inside. I don't know much about rear ends, I was just hoping to not see anything "bad" looking. The fluid drained out pretty clean, I did wipe out some metalic looking fluid from inside the housing. Normal?

I have a 3.42 gear set that has about 5k miles on it that I compared the gears in my car to. The outer edge of the ring gear on my 3.73s look like they are wearing.?. (It kind of looks like it is supposed to be like that though)
http://picsorban.com/upload/dsc00643.jpg

The rear end has some pretty decent whine to it...I might be noticing it more now, because everyone keeps telling me that I am borrowed 10 bolt time. In addition to the gear whine, I hear what I would call a howling/growling noise that seems to be coming from the right side. Axle bearing???

I am going to have my buddy that is a tech at a Chevy shop take a ride with me & see what his ears think. If it isn't something obvious to him, I'll end up riding this out, until it won't let me anymore.

Input?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

The gear looks normal. The growling is probably a pitted bearing. I did a gear swap on my 2002 camaro, it had 35,xxx miles on it and one carrier side bearing was pitted up real bad, didn't have a noise yet.
It wouldn't hurt to pull the axles and differential to inspect the bearings.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

man when it starts acting up, needs new parts reaplace it with somthing that is indistructable with your futre plans. I called scott at drive line explained my future plans for the car and he set me up with somthing that would work. Stop worrying about that freaking 10 bolt and put somthing in there that will handle whatever you can throw at it.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
The gear looks normal. The growling is probably a pitted bearing. I did a gear swap on my 2002 camaro, it had 35,xxx miles on it and one carrier side bearing was pitted up real bad, didn't have a noise yet.
It wouldn't hurt to pull the axles and differential to inspect the bearings.

Cool, I think I'll have my buddy take it apart. We talked about the possibility of it needing the bearings replaced.

I didn't think the outer edge of the ring gear would be making enough contact for it to wear...

Originally Posted by silver02ws6
man when it starts acting up, needs new parts reaplace it with somthing that is indistructable with your futre plans. I called scott at drive line explained my future plans for the car and he set me up with somthing that would work. Stop worrying about that freaking 10 bolt and put somthing in there that will handle whatever you can throw at it.
I'd like to make that call!!! I bought the car in December & didn't think I'd put much money in to it...We all know how that goes!!!! Dyno tune, fuel system, pulley, suspension, tires...the list goes on.

Search this Thread