Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Y-Pipe Clearance PICS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP Y-Pipe Clearance PICS?

I have heard alot of bad reviews about the clearance of the catted Y. Does anyone have any pics of the ORY installed with clearance pics?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I remember seeing some on ls1sounds.com - I could be wrong though.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:57 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

here is a good thread about it as well...hope it helps. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...pipe+clearance
Old 04-27-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info. Looks like its 50/50 with the QTP Y satisfaction...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

come on over an i'll show you my clearance...
Old 04-27-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohh ohh my buddy would love to post pics on this one... Abosolutely hates the catback. Both cat internals fell apart and started rattling after 6 months of use and he has had nothing but clearance issues. Have tried about 6 readjustments and still like 3 inches of ground clearance is the best we could get.!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

You guys do know that y pipe was made for power. Which it does. If you want the best ground clearance make your own custom oval y pipe$$$$$$. Its just a fact these cars dont like 3" pipe and ground clearance. It seems other y pipes have banging issues. So pick your poison. My QTP y pipe fits up just fine. I have seen the ones that had them installed on a lift and by a professional do not have any problems. The ones that are doing on there back are the ones that have problems. All the guys around me with qtp headers/y pipes all tuck up nicely. I hope this sheds some light for you.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

I will try to find some pics. Send me your E-mail and I will try to get you some pictures. I forgot to send someone else some, earlier, and have to do that too.

Anyways, I agree, with BOTH sides. I think everyone can agree we WANT it to fit better. But, what do you want, for a 3" pipe? The people we should be upset with is GM, for designing the floor the way they did. Were it not for that stamped sheetmetal crossmember, just behind the collector exit ( in the case of QTPs ), the y-pipe wouldn' t have to hang so low, so it won' t bang. I think they did a good job, with the way the car is designed. The bends are minimal, and there aren' t a lot of tight, unnecessary turns. It comes in a bunch of pieces, so one can fit it to their car. It has the merge collector, that everyone knows about. It' s 3".

Yeah, I only have like 3.5" of clearance, even with a modified QTP y-pipe. That' s because I wanted to hang the converter off the collector. Just get a Mufflex hanger, and drive carefully. Pick you lines, and pay attention. You can have the flow of a 3" y-pipe, in these cars, without running one, and something has to be compromised. Ground clearance, or power.

Just for a rough reference, my car pulled about 10 more RWHP more than a M6, with Kooks and their y-pipe. And, my cats' were going out. My cars converter was locked, but, they were on the same dyno, with the same mods', tuned by the same guy. Our cars are just light bolt-ons, so, I think the ground clearance it worth the inconvenience.

JMHO ;D
Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think QTP could make a better fitting y pipe. It took us 1 1/2 hours to make the QTP onw fit corrrectly. This is a design issue. They could make it fit beter.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The carsound cats always seem to end up rattling inside the converters. Just a crappy design of the cats I guess. I know of 20 cases so far of their cats going bad on the qtp ypipe, four of those are from my tuned car.

Besides the cats, the ypipe is a nice piece if you spend time to readjust it til it meets your needs. I turned my catted qtp ypipe into an offroad ypipe because the damn cats kept rattling around.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Did you notice any large difference with the sound?

Also would there be a major difference between a custom Y and getting the QTP ORY now and adding a set of CATS later? I have a guy that will install it on a lift and can adjust from there.

Originally Posted by vader99
The carsound cats always seem to end up rattling inside the converters. Just a crappy design of the cats I guess. I know of 20 cases so far of their cats going bad on the qtp ypipe, four of those are from my tuned car.

Besides the cats, the ypipe is a nice piece if you spend time to readjust it til it meets your needs. I turned my catted qtp ypipe into an offroad ypipe because the damn cats kept rattling around.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't comment on the difference in sound between cats vs. no cats on the qtp ypipe on my car because when I removed the cats I also put in a borla xr1 muffler in the Ipipe. To my surprise, the car sounds nearly the same with just a bit more volume and a little deeper with no cats and the xr1.

The rasp level has stayed the same ---- meaning none ---- which is what I wanted. My car sounds really nice still even without the cats. I am very happy.

If you can get a custom ypipe built for approximately the same price then I would do that because chances are it will fit better with your particular car in mind.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

QTP headers - I would buy again. From the headers I have seen, install and fitment is one of the best.

QTP y-pipe - Fitment is kind of a joke. If you get the car high off the ground, and have 2 people to move it around, you can get it close. The drivers side does not tuck up very well, and the pipe bends right before the header. People (including my mom who knows little/nothing about cars asks 'is that supposed to be that low?')

I would say I have 3 inches to work with on the drivers side, and constantly scrape it on things.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Do you think it's the 3" pipe, the merge collector, or both that seem to make better power overall?

I may just get a custom Y with the Flowmaster merge collector installed.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the merge collector is the biggest difference on the qtp ypipe. 2.5" pipes are supposed to flow more than enough for most applications until you start getting into the mid to high 400 rwhp numbers. 3" piping right off the bat gives you room to grow if you ever want to move up to higher hp output, however it is not necessary for most. Some claim you give up lowend torque with the 3" piping but I haven't found that to be a problem with my 3" qtp ypipe.