Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow vs. flowmaster

Old 04-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnaflow vs. flowmaster

as far as cat-backs go i've heard great things about magnaflow, but i've heard a lot of ppl complain about the flowmaster exhaust note on ls1's. magnaflow is fairly quiet when idling or cruising,, but sounds sick at WOT, so I was wondering if the flowmaster idle/cruise sound is louder than the magnaflow's? just curious because i've found a lot better deals on flowmaster exhaust than magnaflow,, and i'm a poor college student

thanks for your help
Old 04-27-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, flowmaster is poor flow when compared to the magnaflow, also flowmaster is not stainless like the magnaflow, so spend the cash now and get something worth buying. If you don't your spend more later cause you have to buy twice
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
well, flowmaster is poor flow when compared to the magnaflow, also flowmaster is not stainless like the magnaflow, so spend the cash now and get something worth buying. If you don't your spend more later cause you have to buy twice
so the performance of flowmaster is hindered compared to magnaflow too? thanks.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Flowmaster is one of the worst flowing catbacks for these cars. I had a LT's, ORY, and a Magnaflow on my Z28 with a TSP 231/231 .598/.598 112 cam and it sounded awesome, even at idle. My SS has Lane's true duals and I think the Magnaflow has a louder, deeper tone. My Magnaflow is for sale if you're interested.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

id really love to see some #s on the flowmasters , i just have a hard time believing that a company as respectable as flowmaster has such a poor flowing catback . sound is an opinion .
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jus get a cut out, i've heard that flowmasters don't "flow" at all, . . they suck for performance, the magnaflow is a lil better for performance and a lil louder, . . . why bother dishin out 400 bucks on an exhaust system, when you already have a system in place? meanin: jus change the muffler itself or get a cut out, . . im extremely happy with mine
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i'm not sure about the flowmaster;i'v heard only bad things with the f-body setup.

i have a magnaflow and yes it is quiet at idle. as a matter of fact i wasnt exactly sure how it sounded outside of my car until yesterday;i went under an overpass at wot and holy **** dude!!! i didnt realise how much the magnaflow screamed untill then. totally blew me away. in my opinion for the price,quality,power,and sound you cant beat it.i love my magnaflow.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange99Z
Flowmaster is one of the worst flowing catbacks for these cars. I had a LT's, ORY, and a Magnaflow on my Z28 with a TSP 231/231 .598/.598 112 cam and it sounded awesome, even at idle. My SS has Lane's true duals and I think the Magnaflow has a louder, deeper tone. My Magnaflow is for sale if you're interested.
perhaps,, how many miles does it have on it and what's your asking price? and where're you located? thanks.

Originally Posted by rayce08
id really love to see some #s on the flowmasters , i just have a hard time believing that a company as respectable as flowmaster has such a poor flowing catback . sound is an opinion .
flowmaster at least has to be a noticeable improvement from stock performance right? i had the cat-back 40-series flowmaster on my 3.4L v6 grand am and personally i thought it sounded great and got many compliments on it,, and i def noticed a performance increase. i wish i could hear an 80-series ls1 in person (not just on ls1sounds.com) so i could compare, but everyone i kno either has magnaflow or loudmouth. i appreciate your help guys.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
jus get a cut out, i've heard that flowmasters don't "flow" at all, . . they suck for performance, the magnaflow is a lil better for performance and a lil louder, . . . why bother dishin out 400 bucks on an exhaust system, when you already have a system in place? meanin: jus change the muffler itself or get a cut out, . . im extremely happy with mine
is yours electric? either way how much did it cost
Old 04-27-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flowmaster's 80 series crossflow sucks in performance. All their other throgh mufflers flow pretty good.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

You're comparing the worst flowing exhaust to one of the best flowing here.

Flowmaster = Chokemaster, Blowmaster, Flowbastard, etc. Why are there so many negative names for it? It truthfully isn't very good.

Magnaflow = one of the best quality, best looking (minus the tips) exhausts you can buy. Stainless steel and looks like a mirror years after you put it on.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't compared the Flowmaster and Magnaflow systems side by side for idle and cruising volume, but they're probably fairly similar. I'd bet they're both better than stock as far as flow too, but by how much is a good question.

If you're mostly concerned with sound and price, you might consider just having a muffler welded in like someone else said. You could always save up for something better if you wanted to. I have a Flowmaster welded into my stock system right now (came that way) and I'm saving for a Magnaflow. (and a couple feet of stainless tubing and a couple of tips OTHER than the standard Magnaflow ones )
Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Teching In

problem is i'm concerned with all equally: price/sound/performance,, which sucks because the better the sound/performance the higher the price.. and there's so many options too >< guess i'll have to think about it for a while,, not gettin it done till sometime over the summer so I have a while. thanks for all the input it really helped, i'll let you know what i eventually end up doing.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ws649er
problem is i'm concerned with all equally: price/sound/performance,, which sucks because the better the sound/performance the higher the price.. and there's so many options too >< guess i'll have to think about it for a while,, not gettin it done till sometime over the summer so I have a while. thanks for all the input it really helped, i'll let you know what i eventually end up doing.

Magnaflow is cheap comparatively speaking. I ditched my Borla because with h/c it sounds horrible and it is twice the price; high price does not equal great sound necessarily.

Magnaflow is inexpensive, looks great, flows real well, and sounds awesome. What more could you want out of a $400 catback?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing wrong with the flow of the Flowmaster 1-chamber race mufflers That's what I will be putting on my SS in the next few days
Old 04-28-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magnaflow vs. flowmaster

HOOKER, or if you must, magnaflow.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

i have the flowmaster catback (was already on it wheni bought it.) it sounds alright idling in my driveway and got compliments on it, but personally i don't like it that much, when cruising it has like a drone to it which gets annoying, plus i hear that they suck performance wise.

oh and i almost forgot, the muffler is completely cover in rust. so score another point for magnaflow haha.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

I have flowmaster right now and I'm ditching it for either a magnaflow, hooker, or borla. Flowmaster is way too quiet for me and from what I understand flow like sh*t.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

I have the magnaflow, and I love it.
nice and quiet at idle, mean and loud at WOT.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Flowmaster is the worst do not get that you will not be happy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: magnaflow vs. flowmaster