Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, pulling/dropping engine out in garage, esp without a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, pulling/dropping engine out in garage, esp without a lift?

Soo.. For those that dropped/pulled the engine out your f-bod, in your garage, how did you manage to do it? Did you go from the bottom? or somehow manage to pull it from the top? What did you use? I'm especially curious about those who went from the bottom, without access to a lift..

From what I hear, some people backed thier car on ramps, then after losening evrything, used a engine crane to pull the front of the car up, jack stand it up on huge jackstands (or jacks on little "steps"), while the front subframe,engine,tranny, and exhuast sits on a dolly on the floor?

Sounds tricky.. especially if room is limited..
Old 04-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Launching!

ask SUX2BU he has done a few
Old 04-27-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post this in the external engine section.

Anyway, at work we always drop them out of the bottom on f-bodies, with the trans. we unhook the whole front suspension and k-member from the body and lift it up by the front bumper support. We use a forklift to do that though. When yo uhave the k-member sitting on the ground, if the struts are leaning against the valve covers you can actually grab the tailshaft on the tranny and move the engine around like a wheelbarrow.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put the car on jackstands, pulled the tranny out and put it on the ground. Lowered the car back down on the ground and pulled the motor out from the top with an engine hoist. Installed the new longblock the same way but reversed.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop the trans, then pull it from the top. just as easy as any other car.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xaon
I put the car on jackstands, pulled the tranny out and put it on the ground. Lowered the car back down on the ground and pulled the motor out from the top with an engine hoist. Installed the new longblock the same way but reversed.
Just did mine this exact way.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pull from the bottom. Just jack the car up extra high and have the back of the car on ramps. It's extremely easy from the bottom. Only thing I had to take off was the master cyl. TQ arm mount and driveshaft. Then you just go in the cab, take out the passenger side kick pannel, disconect the 2 clips and unbolt the computer and put it on top of the car.

All the sensors and accessories you can take out with the motor. Trans, PS pump, headers, everything. You dont need to undo any of the sensors, NOTHING. There are just two very small things you need to disconnect. There a 2 wire harness that goes from the battery to the starter and one wire that goes to a ground behind the alternator.

Oh and the speed sensors / break booster lines. thats it!

It's SO much easier to disconnect everything once its out of the car.

What I did though was jack the car high in the air, then supported the motor with 2 jacks. one under the k member and one under the tail shaft of the tranny. lowered them down evenly then just pulled it out from under the car. I plan on puttin it back in the same way but reversed. worked really well.

IT would be smart to get a decent sized piece of plywood to put between the jack and the k member though to even out the weight.

Last edited by jermzz; 04-28-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropped mine out the bottom with jack stands and a engine hoist around the core support. Everything can then be put on or taken off outside of the car. No cramped hands this way.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its amazing what you can get done when you dont ahve alot of people telling you "its diffrent" and "you cant do that"

notice, even the hood is still on. i couldnt do that with my thirdgen!

( ok, yes, you need a tubular Kmember to do it.. and YES, its very tight.. but its possible... btw... with the trans off, and stock everything, its just as easy to pull it from the top as any other car.. and IMO easier then some earlier cars, because the hood opens up higher. the cowl actually isnt in the way, like alot of people ASSume...)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Out the top. Put it back in as a long block with the trans attached. It went in in under 1 hour. That included the engine, trans, cross member, and drive shaft.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

One trick if you plan to pull it from the bottom. If you pull the engine/tranny out the side of the car via the wheel well you dont have to lift the chassis up nearly as high as if you try to pull it straight out the front of the car.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

From the bottom is the way to go if you have the means. That way you can install the complete front assembly including harness, accessories, headers,etc.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

i pulled my engine from the bottom also. i bought this dolly http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92823 and just pushed it into my garage by myself.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

From pulling out onthe bottom, any estimates on how high the ramps which the rear tires sit on?

Or how high the car needs to be up on stands to clear out from the side?

Wondering if it would easier if one could raise the car high enough on stands, and have some fancy dolly that can raise and lower the whole front engine/trans/front members up and down from the car.. instead of bringing the car up and down to the engine..
Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

good stuff
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

We striped the topend off the motor and pulled the block from the top and installed it from the top. Installing it was tricky but we did it within a hour of so.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Okay.. if I can put the car on an small open center lift, that has a lift height of 26".. Think thats enough height?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We pulled out the top and assembled the same way, pics on my site.