Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

I have to cut my quarter panel off..

Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have to cut my quarter panel off..

And weld a new one on. Long story short, my posi went out on the dragstrip and I went 80 miles an hour sideways into a wall. The frame and everything but the body has been fixed. I need to cut my quarter panel off, but I dont know how to lift up the c-pillar. Anyone ever done this before?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be more specific, do you mean the roof panel? It is glued into place and can't be lifted without destroying the panel. The most I can do to help is post some pics of the roof removed.

I think it's really a job for a pro. Your talking major surgery there and it has to line up just right.

PS, sorry about the bad luck. Let me know if you need any help.
Attached Thumbnails I have to cut my quarter panel off..-camarotop1-1-.jpg   I have to cut my quarter panel off..-camarotop3-1-.jpg   I have to cut my quarter panel off..-katto1-1-.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-29-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done ONE....never again!! It is a BITCH!!! I you don't have lots of experience with body work, I wouldn't even try it...unless you just want the experience or want to learn how to do it.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Jason that's what I needed. I think I'm going to cut the quarter panel just below the roof panel. I can attach some pix later of my car (I'm at school right now). It may be a bitch, but I really dont have a choice, the quarter panel has to be cut off. Do you guys think a black roof panel would look good? I think I want to go two tone.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the camaros are like that and it looks good. I always thought having a body color roof was a little bonus over a regular black roof, though. If you decide to do it you might want to paint the mirrors black as well.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

The only thing cooler then a girl driving an fbody is one who is willing to work on it as well...
Old 05-14-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patriotformula
The only thing cooler then a girl driving an fbody is one who is willing to work on it as well...

Il second that

-john
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your local area windshield replacement person should have the tool you need. It looks like a Saw Saw with a 3" scraper on the end and you just have a squirt bottle of water and keep it wet the whole time and it take a total of about 10 minutes and you will have it up in a jiffy. My friend owna collision repair shop so I have personally done a bunch of these different ways and this is by far the best and fastes way to get it off or up far enough to replace the quater panel witch is how we do it and at could go into detail of the best way to install the quater panel, but that would take a lot of typing etc... So I will leave you with this piece of info just make sure you tape the edges of the top with a few layers of tape to prevent chipping or scratching it suring the removal process etc... PM me if you need specific info good luck.
Jeff
Old 05-28-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Your local area windshield replacement person should have the tool you need. It looks like a Saw Saw with a 3" scraper on the end and you just have a squirt bottle of water and keep it wet the whole time and it take a total of about 10 minutes and you will have it up in a jiffy. My friend owna collision repair shop so I have personally done a bunch of these different ways and this is by far the best and fastes way to get it off or up far enough to replace the quater panel witch is how we do it and at could go into detail of the best way to install the quater panel, but that would take a lot of typing etc... So I will leave you with this piece of info just make sure you tape the edges of the top with a few layers of tape to prevent chipping or scratching it suring the removal process etc... PM me if you need specific info good luck.
Jeff
Just like Jeff said, let a glass shop sepperate the panel up as far as they can with a hot knife, usually up to the middle of the bend. The flange where the quarter panel spot welds to the roof is only approx. 1.5" high behind the roof cap. After the roof cap has been seperated you can place a peice of wood behind it to hold it out far enough to drill out the factory spot welds and remove the quarter panel. Be very careful not to put to mutch stress on the roof cap, it cracks very easy. When the new panel is welded into place let the glass company glue it back into place, windsheild urithane is the same glue that GM used on them. The fourth gen Camaros and firebirds are some of the more difficult quarter panels to get to fit properly. Most reputable paint supply stores also have the correct seam seal tape to match the factory original for a cleaner/nicer finished look.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have to cut my quarter panel off..