Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Is it true that insurance isn't required on a motorcycle in FL?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it true that insurance isn't required on a motorcycle in FL?

If so, how stupid would it be to buy a small 250cc bike and drive it around without insurance? It would only be used for short daily commutes, no more than ~5 miles a day, weather permitting of course. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, am I asking for trouble driving around with no isurance?

I'm just toying with the idea of buying something that gets great gas mileage. It would be an older used bike, so I would not care about not having insurance to replace it if it got stolen.

Just looking for some honest opinions/suggestions/experiences.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Launching!

U Dont Need Insurance On The Bike Unless U Are Financing It. U Just Better Hope U Have Health Ins For When U Get In To An Accident. Crashes On Bike Always Happen With In 5 Mile From Ur House.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

You do not even need insurance on a motorcycle if you finance it. Just as long as it stays under a 600 I was told. I bought a brand new R6, no insurance, and it was financed. I have very good medical and health through my work so I did not need it unless i destroyed my bike lol. I sold the bike about 6 months ago and never ever had insurance.

It's also better to get insurance because you never know what may happen. If you wreck the bike and can afford to fix it and you have good health/medical already, then I guess you dont need it.

Im not telling you to not get it, im telling you tooooo get it to be on the safe side. Dont be like me lol.

good luck eaither way!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET LET ALONE INSURANCE, by the way im selling my 05 cbr 600rr anyone interested? its got 3000 miles
Old 04-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I moved down here in the '80s, you didn't even
need a license.

You may be able to convince your insurance company
that the bike is your Primary Vehicle.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah you dont need insurance. Factory loans often will insist you carry insurance (since its technicly their bike until you pay it off) but not all factories.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man this question kills me everytime I hear it. You are under the same financial responsibilites as if you were driving a car. You wreck it and you are at fault for the accident get ready to get your *** sued off of you. Motorcycle financed through the manufact are done on a line of credit to get around the need for insurance to drive it off the lot. At a minimum you need to have property damage, bodily injury and comp. I would also recomend underinsured/uninsured so if someone hits you and they dont have insurance you are covered. If you ride without insurance you driving on barrowed time. Also think about this, if your girl is on the back of the bike and you lay it down with no insurance on it she or her family is going to come after you and you will be poor for the rest of your life. DONT BE STUPID get insurance. If you cant afford insurance you cant afford to ride in the state of Florida in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET LET ALONE INSURANCE, by the way im selling my 05 cbr 600rr anyone interested? its got 3000 miles
wrong, under the age of 21 you can be ticketed for this. At a minimum you must have eye protection. Trust me I have seen it done.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Pushin knows his **** when it comes to Bikesm he deals with this stuff EVERY day.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 PM

I also head that if you choose not to wear a helmut, you have to have some other insurance? Pushin ius right since he works the field
Old 04-28-2006, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

If you choose to not wear a helmet, you have to be 21 yrs or older and have a min. of 10k insurance (or something like that).

Well you get the point Turo
Old 04-28-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JakeROFL
Well you get the point Turo
lol, I do.

I'm going to try and find a nice cheap used 250 ninja or something along those lines, hopefully cheap enough taht I can buy straight up without having to finance.

I know you guys are right, I guess I just needed to hear other people push the insurance issue. I'm going to shop around and see what kind of quotes I'm looking at, I'll be doing this when I turn 25 (still have a few months to go) so hopefully the price won't be too much. I imagine on such a small bike the insurance shouldn't be too bad anyways?

Helmet and safety gear isn't really a question for me, I'm all about being as safe as possible. Thanks for the poinions/suggestions.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

I think if your buying new, most manufacturers won't require insurance unless the motorcycle is over $10,000. If you plan on not wearing a helmet then insurance is required, forget how much coverage is needed.

I don't have insurance on mine, but I always wear a helmet and am very very mindful of traffic around me.

You could buy my 05 Suzuki GS500F, great starter bike, 7 months old, $3500 OBO, see my ad in Cycletrader.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

a lot of times it's just a matter of the bike shop going through the right financing company and not a bank. always wear eye protection, and a helmet for that matter....

i pay $23/month for a little over minimum coverage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it true that insurance isn't required on a motorcycle in FL?