Need Opinions on Motor for 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Opinions on Motor for 69 Camaro

Well I have been thinking this over and it's driving me nuts and I want some opinions from people who love the same thing I do. I have a 69 camaro to put a ls1 in and I'm not sure on what to do. Right now I have 3 motors in different stages. I have a fully built 423 iron block ls1 made for nitrous, then I have a ls6 block and crank, and last a stock ls1. So I would like to go turbo since I have the turbos but not sure what motor I should go with. I could get new pistons put in the 423 or possibly sell the 423 and build up the ls6 block for cheaper. And the cheapest option is to just throw the used ls1 with mild boost.

As of right now I plan on running a dana 44 irs and c4 corvette ifs suspension. I might have to sell the irs I have though if I stick with the 423 since I dont think the irs could hold the power. I want the car to be pro-touring so more towards auto x and road racing vs. drag.

All opinions will be considered since I just want to lay out a solid plan and go for it when I come back home.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

i would do the 423 and the turbo setup. i think that setup would talk some ****!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

sell the 423, take the ls6 block, get wiseco boost pistons and some scat (or whatever other) rods, head studs etc, and use the rest of the cash from the 423 for an A2W street intercooler setup and get it done. pro touring type car?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Zl1......
Old 04-28-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
sell the 423, take the ls6 block, get wiseco boost pistons and some scat (or whatever other) rods, head studs etc, and use the rest of the cash from the 423 for an A2W street intercooler setup and get it done. pro touring type car?
I like that idea the most yeah it would be cool to use the 423 but I want more of a protouring car so the ls6 would be ligther and could rev higher too with the shorter crank.

The next hardest part is finding a buyer for my motor so I can get the parts for the ls6 block. So if anyone is looking for a stroker motor pm me

Any recommendations on parts to use I guess it's time to start collecting parts for another motor.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

the LS6 can't really rev any higher than a 423, actually the 423 would be capable of higher RPM due to the better quality crank. there are TONS of 9,500rpm 700+ cubic inch motors around.

as for the new motor, you don't need to collect parts, take the block and crank that you have, as well as a build plan to a REPUTABLE builder and have them aquire the parts and such, it will be cheaper and easier, and there will be no wasted motion. i would reccomend Erik Koenig from HPE.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

the LS6 can't really rev any higher than a 423, actually the 423 would be capable of higher RPM due to the better quality crank. there are TONS of 9,500rpm 700+ cubic inch motors around.

as for the new motor, you don't need to collect parts, take the block and crank that you have, as well as a build plan to a REPUTABLE builder and have them aquire the parts and such, it will be cheaper and easier, and there will be no wasted motion. i would reccomend Erik Koenig from HPE.
I have a hard time with speed shops I was one of the lucky one's who got screwed out of 3 k by APE on a motor I purchased from them and never saw. I'll make some calls but I'd rather build it myself and save money and the hassle of trying to work with a shop.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

ok...and? APE was crooked from the beginning, they were just good at hiding it for a while. unless you have the proper tools, machines etc to build a motor then you won't build it good enough, no matter what you think. Give Erik a call, he's the man, and he's not going anywhere. there's not really any hassle when you deal with shops if you tell them exactly what you want, give them the money to do it, and then wait patiently for it.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

ok...and? APE was crooked from the beginning, they were just good at hiding it for a while. unless you have the proper tools, machines etc to build a motor then you won't build it good enough, no matter what you think. Give Erik a call, he's the man, and he's not going anywhere. there's not really any hassle when you deal with shops if you tell them exactly what you want, give them the money to do it, and then wait patiently for it.
I have the ability to assemble a short block minus the machine work on the block and have my own shop for personal use. If I'm going to build a car I'd rather take the pride in building it my own while growing my skills more and saving money especially since I bring in like 1200 a month so I have to stretch it.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do the LS6 forged with an adequately sized Turbo or D1SC Procharger. That will be a very, very, easy 550+ at the wheels. All day and night.