Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

just got rampower grip installed have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got rampower grip installed have questions

Jason at TDP just installed my Ram Power grip clutch (non hd) and driving it come i noticed 1. that the clutch is very heavy no biggie, but when takin off from a stop the car would shake pretty bad, is this normal?

now heres the thing, when we took of the fly wheel the guy that resurfaces them could not do it cus he was weeks behind and just not able to do it, so we did NOT resurface it, is was not with this until he assured me it would be competely fine he has down it on several cars before plus my flywheel was in excellent condition compared to the other ones around so we just cleaned it off and put the clutch on it, he told me if it didnt work he would do everythin again for FREE, this is how confident he was. so no big deal i trust him so i went about it without resurfacing it.

now is this something that i will have to get used to and maybe it will go away after the clutch is broken in?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's just new, and will have a little chatter' at first; mine (Ram HD) was the same way but after about 200 miles of "break in" it smoothed out and has zero slip, lays the power down nicely. I've had mine in for a year now, drive it everyday. Don't worry, just give it a little more juice when starting out in first, it's a great clutch and will be just fine. I would have resurfaced the flywheel but if yours is in great shape there should be no prob.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would have better to resurface but if it didnt have too many hot spots then i guess it will be ok. BTW my RAM HD chatters badly after 1500 miles or so. it grabs very well though
Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
would have better to resurface but if it didnt have too many hot spots then i guess it will be ok. BTW my RAM HD chatters badly after 1500 miles or so. it grabs very well though
OMG, don't tell me that. I'm getting one and I fear having to use too many RPMs from a stop because my car is sooooo loud. I'm sure the roll-ice will not appreciate it, they are out of control in my town popping hoods on every car they pull over.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

i cant even notice my chatter at all i have none. it just slighty shakes i can tell it is already gettin better tho.!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to get used to it , and drive it a bit differently and then you will have zero chatter . If the flywheel does not get resurfaced , it should get cleaned up by hand with a tool that does not really remove materal but realistically smooth it out and for the most part thoroly clean it . Make sure your catch point is about 1 1/2 inches off the floor (which can be done with an adjustable master cylinder if you don't already have one) . We use Ram clutches in all the cars we set up , and zero problems in the past 3 years (not too mention Ram's customer service is 2nd to none) .
Old 04-29-2006, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NAPA can resurface the flywheel for very little cash too, no need to wait on a particular guy.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have this question regarding these clutches. When I put my 3rd Ram Powergrip clutch in, I had the flywheel resurfaced, shimmed, and I put in the slave cylinder shim that came with the kit. I then blead the system until everything was fine. All was well until last night. I did a hard run up the on ramp to the highway through 3rd gear. It felt like I was going to miss 4th because it didn't want to go, so I went to 6th. When I was slowing down I couldn't get it into 5th. I pulled off the next ramp and noticed it was hard to get into all the gears. I then pulled into a friends house and it wouldn't go into reverse without shutting the car off. This morning I took the car to a tranny shop and it seemed to go into all gears with little resistance, but progressively became worse again. Tranny shop was closed. Here is my question. Is this thing just crap and I need to replace it, or does it sound like part of the break in and needs to be blead again? I have less than 1000 miles on the clutch.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

[/QUOTE]ou have to get used to it , and drive it a bit differently and then you will have zero chatter . If the flywheel does not get resurfaced , it should get cleaned up by hand with a tool that does not really remove materal but realistically smooth it out and for the most part thoroly clean it . Make sure your catch point is about 1 1/2 inches off the floor (which can be done with an adjustable master cylinder if you don't already have one) . We use Ram clutches in all the cars we set up , and zero problems in the past 3 years (not too mention Ram's customer service is 2nd to none) .

ayauh..
Old 05-06-2006, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

My Ram just blew and it had chatter (Bad) from the install til time of death (11k). I just noticed last night that all this time I thought something was wrong with my trans because when I would be at low rpms in a high gear going up a hill or something it sounded like the shifter was going to rattle itself apart. But after installing my Textralia yesterday I noticed I don't have that problem anymore and no chatter either. Its like a whole new car. Now if I can just get a couple years outta this bad boyu and at least 20k I'd happier than a pig in ****.

I'm with the other dude and just would say don't count on the chatter going away cause it wont. I hope I'm wrong but 80% of the guys I talked to about it said theirs didn't either.

GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply: just got rampower grip installed have questions