Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new engine...Fuel in Oil...need help bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new engine...Fuel in Oil...need help bad!!!

Hey, I just got my new forged 347 in the car. I fired the car up for the first time and had instant oil pressure. 40+ PSI at idle. This is a band new LS6 pump FWIW. I took it out and drove it for about 3 miles and notice the oil pressure was down to 20 PSI at idle. I figued I'd go ahead and change it due to all the assembly lube and what not that was probably in the oil. I changed it and drove the car another 4 miles. Had great oil pressure at first startup and then it got worse the more I drove. After the 4 miles I drained a little bit of the oil and it was the consistancy of water. It smelled like there was a ton of gas in the oil. Any Ideas? I put in good plugs and I am not getting a miss fire code or anything. How does that much gas get into the oil? Please help, my car has been down since August and I am anxious to drive it like you couldn't believe.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The fuel has to be coming from the injectors. The choices are a bad tune?
A stuck injector or possibly more.
More info would help.
Hawk
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Im going to watch this. My daily does it and the only thing I can think of is the fuel is getting past the rings during the compression stroke and going into the oil pan. To me I think I need new rings. I'm sure someone else with a buttload more experience is going to chime in so I'm subscribing.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Exclamation My $.02

IMO, 227 Hawk has a good idea on the injectors...
If the car has been down that long, it's possible the fuel in the injs has taken a dump, and you have 1, or more, hung open. [The first hit on the inj opened it, and the crud kept it there.]
Harness is shorted, and the inj is on whenever the key is on.

1. Was the engine disassembled back last August?
2. Were the injectors left out in the open air?

If you continue to run it, expect the rings to be fried, and some bearings to go away.....

I have an injector service, and I see this frequently. I recommend that any long term injector storage be done by shaking the fuel out, and then adding a bit of WD40, or better yet, gun oil to the inlets. Then, put them in a freezer bag, and zip it shut. Do not leave them exposed to hi temps....
Old 04-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Launching!

The injectors have been sitting in the garage stuck on the rail. The car doesn't run rough at all. I pulled some of the plugs and they still look good. I think I would foul the plugs if the injectors were sticking open. I have another rail of injectors I can try on it.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Some things I also changed that I don't if it will make a difference is that I removed the EVAP system and took off the PCV system. Like I said, the car doesn't smoke or run rough but the brand new oil was completely saturated in about 3-4 miles.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get that much fuel in the oil in 4 miles you must be dumping fuel somehow - if it was that much coming from the injectors you'd see it in the exhaust too.....

So let's clarify a few things...

You say "that much gas" - to change the consistency of 6 quarts of oil I would guess you would need at least about 1/2 quart of gas - did the level on the dipstick go up?

What type of oil are we talking about here - is iy 5w 30 - synthetic or dyno oil?

For the oil pressure to drop at idle after the engine warms up is normal - what are your RPMs at idle?

What do you see at the tailpipe - if the plugs are firing but you're dumping a bunch of gas it should have a heavy gas smell, and probably black smoke
Old 04-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Launching!

I did not make a mental note of what the dip stick level was at when I added the oil so I can't be sure.

It is 5W-30 dyno oil.

It went from 44 PSI to under 20 PSI.

I drained the oil and like I said, it is the consistancy of water and smells of fuel bad. I must have an injector sticking open and bleeding fuel into the crank case. I am going to swap out the whole fuel rail and see where that gets me.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah!
Do not run the motor anymore untill you flow clean your injectors.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

regulator?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Launching!

It is a stock fuel system. I'll swap out the whole rail and change the oil I guess and see what that gains me.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Any updates Dave?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Ok, I swapped out the plugs which all looked brand new. I swapped out the injectors and fuel rail and changed the oil. After about 7 miles that same thing happpened. Saturated in fuel...

Here are my thoughts:

Could be a bad ring, but you would think I would get smoke out of the exhaust from oil.
There is no smell of raw fuel being burnt, if the engine was dumping that much fuel into the engine I think I would smell it and it would foul the plugs.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is something wrong wit the pump and when the pump primes it dumps in a lot more fuel than needed and it seeps past the rings. Then when the engine starts the fuel is already out of the combustion chamber and into the crank case. Then the oil mixes the more I drive and causes the drop is pressure. Maybe the rings havent seated yet being that it's a new engine?? I have no idea, I am just thinking out loud. Any ideas guys?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That doesn't seem mechanical anymore. I'm starting to believe it is tune related.
Only the PCM can order the injectors to open wide. As mentionned before it would take a shitload of fuel to dilute 6 quarts of oil.
Unless you have a piston with 0 compression, still though 7 miles is a short distance.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Dave this really sucks! The Formy is cursed

I'm sick of working on mine so if you need help or something give me a call.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dheck
Hey, I just got my new forged 347 in the car. I fired the car up for the first time and had instant oil pressure. 40+ PSI at idle. This is a band new LS6 pump FWIW. I took it out and drove it for about 3 miles and notice the oil pressure was down to 20 PSI at idle. I figued I'd go ahead and change it due to all the assembly lube and what not that was probably in the oil. I changed it and drove the car another 4 miles. Had great oil pressure at first startup and then it got worse the more I drove. After the 4 miles I drained a little bit of the oil and it was the consistancy of water. It smelled like there was a ton of gas in the oil. Any Ideas? I put in good plugs and I am not getting a miss fire code or anything. How does that much gas get into the oil? Please help, my car has been down since August and I am anxious to drive it like you couldn't believe.
I am having the same f##$%ing problem with my car!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Launching!

I realized that I had a hole in my bezel between the maf and TB. It's a pretty large hole from my old nitrous shark nozzle. Do you think that could cause too much fuel to be added? Due to unmeatered air behind the maf getting into the engine?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump for a good friend. I'd like to see if someone can give him anymore advice. He needs to get this thing running.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Ok, I did a compression test. Everything checked out ok. Now I am just getting plain confused. Something must be commanding the PCM to add more fuel. Who knows.