Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

This normal for a Moser Axle Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default This normal for a Moser Axle Bearing?

I went to install my moser axles in the 9" and when fully seated, the axle bearing sticks out 1/8" from the face of the houwing ends. Is that normal?

This is after coaxing them in with a my BFH
Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double check the bearing thickness and the housing end with a set of calipers.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

is it bouncing when you hit it with the bfh? i used a rubber mallet to coax mine in, and the right side axle didnt go in all the way...an *** hair from flush. but it went in the rest of the way when i torqued the backing plates on.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Mine slid right in with no problems. Didnt even need a ruber mallet.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xssive
I went to install my moser axles in the 9" and when fully seated, the axle bearing sticks out 1/8" from the face of the houwing ends. Is that normal?

This is after coaxing them in with a my BFH
Do your axles have sealed ball type or tapered roller bearing sets ?? Do your retainers have counter bored relief cuts in them or are they just flat plate steel ?? (The relief cuts are only used with tapered roller bearings 99% of the time). Are you looking at the seal sticking out an 1/8" ot the actual bearing case ??

Use a tape measure and find what the distance from the cross shaft (internal to the differential) to the end of the axle tube/flange by inserting the tape into the tube.

Measure the backside of the bearing to the flange on both bearings. This might tell you if the bearing is fully seated or possibly installed incorrectly.

You can also apply some paint to the end of the axle and install it. Then after you pull it back out, you can tell if its actually going in all the way and bottoming out on the cross shaft. This may tell you weather or not it is too long.....

This is a near "common occurance" with the moser axle sets I have seen in the past ten+ years or so........ so dont feel like the lone ranger....... and its always been by about an 1/8 of an inch. I wouldnt want to say its "normal" but it is common.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The axle ended up being too long by about 3/16" of an inch. It did the same thing without the inner seal insalled so it had to the axle itself. Thanks to Scott at DLS, I just took a flap disc to the end of the axle and brought it down slowly till the axle slid right in and sat flush.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That happens some times when using a preloaded Truetrac since there are 2 washers inside the differntial right at the end of the splines. I do specify the preloaded unit when ordering from Moser but they have a set length and they stick to it.

Quick Reply: This normal for a Moser Axle Bearing?