LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 intake vs pre LT1 intake differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 intake vs pre LT1 intake differences?

I know that the 92 & up LT1 has a different intake than the earlier Chevy engines. But what is the real difference in the heads/intake? Is it a difference in the angle that the intake sits on the heads? A different bolt pattern? Or a different bolt pattern and angle? Also, is the 96-99 Vortec truck heads the same intake layout as the LT1? I know that GM has a carbed LT1 intake but is there any other intake that bolts onto the 92-97 LT1 engines like the Vortec intakes?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
I know that the 92 & up LT1 has a different intake than the earlier Chevy engines. But what is the real difference in the heads/intake? Is it a difference in the angle that the intake sits on the heads? A different bolt pattern? Or a different bolt pattern and angle? Also, is the 96-99 Vortec truck heads the same intake layout as the LT1? I know that GM has a carbed LT1 intake but is there any other intake that bolts onto the 92-97 LT1 engines like the Vortec intakes?
I think its the bolt pattern, I am not 100% positive though, it may be the same as the Vortech ones though. I also think the ports are taller. Not sure though

The Vortec heads are based on the LT1 heads, they arent the same. They dont have reverse flow. plus they arent aluminum.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few things:

1. The bolt pattern is different, even from 87-up heads. The only bolt holes on an LT1 intake that will line up with standard small block heads are the ones at all four corners.

2. The LT1 intake is a standard 23* mount like all the previous years, BUT the angles that the bolt holes were drilled are different than that of the pre-87 heads.

3. The LT1 manifold is a dry manifold, meaning that there are no coolant passages that allow water to flow from the head on one side of the engine to the other.

4. Vortec heads will not fit an LTx intake for two reasons: (a) because the intake mating flange on an LT1 intake is too narrow to cover the tall ports on the Vortec head, and (b) even though the LT4 mating flange is tall enough to cover the ports on a Vortec, the bolt holes are drilled higher in the head than on the intake, making them mismatched.

5. If you're looking to do a conversion, you can run Fastburn heads which are based off the Vortech castings, but are drilled for both the Vortech intake bolt pattern and the standard SBC bolt pattern. This site has all the info on what's necessary to do the conversion: www.lt1intake.com
Old 05-01-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, I was looking into putting an intake for the older Chevy onto an LT1 engine and wondered if it was possible with the LT1 heads. And if not, would the Vortec or Fastburn heads work on an LT1 with an older style intake.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I was looking into putting an intake for the older Chevy onto an LT1 engine and wondered if it was possible with the LT1 heads.
If the intake you're attempting to use has a solid flange that runs the entire length of the intake allowing you to drill holes in the locations that match up with the LT1 head bolt pattern, then it will work.

GM also makes this intake which will bolt right up to LT1 heads:
http://store.jandjspeedshop.com/prod...roducts_id=156

And if not, would the Vortec or Fastburn heads work on an LT1 with an older style intake
They will work, but you'll have to have the heads converted to reverse cooling.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

I used the Accel fuel injection manifold that is used to convert the old style SBC engines to fuel injection. The intake was modified to work with the LT1 heads.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

How does that Accel intake compare to a stock Lt1 say if i was going to use it N/A. (flow rates, torque gains...high or low) Will that intake increase high rpm power?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
I used the Accel fuel injection manifold that is used to convert the old style SBC engines to fuel injection. The intake was modified to work with the LT1 heads.

MAN dude that looks WICKED!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 93turboLT1
How does that Accel intake compare to a stock Lt1 say if i was going to use it N/A. (flow rates, torque gains...high or low) Will that intake increase high rpm power?
I don't have any flow numbers. It does not choke in the upper rpms that's for sure. For example... I compared a car with a very similar set up to my car with the exception that my car had the Accel intake manifold, ported LT1 heads, 388, Procharger F1 (22 psi) vs. the other car having a stock ported LT1 intake manifold, AFR heads, 396, and a Procharger F1 (22 psi). My car made 80 more rwhp throughout the rpm range. Keep in that this is a forced induction application with 22 psi.

Quick Reply: LT1 intake vs pre LT1 intake differences?