General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF!? installed gears and now engine just turns over w/o starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry WTF!? installed gears and now engine just turns over w/o starting

I know this can't be related to swapping out gears, but I have NEVER had this problem before.

Got done with installing gears and went to start up the car and all it did was turn over..never fired. Tried it again, same thing. Tried it a few more time and finally it started and ran like normal. I started and stopped it a few times since then (the car was warmed up) and everything was fine. This was Saturday. Now today, Monday, I go to start the car (sat all night so it was cold) and it just turns over again and doesn't fire. The security light was not on or blinking or nothing. Tried my spare key...same thing. Went back and forth from my spare key/origibal key a few times and the same thing..just turns over and doesn't start. I can hear the fuel pump turn on everytime. Finally I tried it again and it started right up. WTF!?! I decided to reset the ECM and then started it, started up fine. I let it idle for a while and then shut it off. Started it back up after a minute or so and it started fine. I am going to wait to try starting it cold again and see if it acts up. It has ONLY been doing it when the car sits and it cold.

anybody have ANY ideas??? It just doesn't make any sense to me why it just started doing this now after a gear swap.

Paul
Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

ok, both of my keys measure 3,740 ohms. I also put my key in the ignition and measured across the two white wires at the base of the column after disconnecting it and that also measures 3,740 ohms.

when those two wires are plugged in and I turn the ignition on, the security light goes on for a few seconds and then turns off. If I unplug those two wires and turn the ignition on, the security light will blink instead of going off. All this seems to check out.

I guess I will have to wait until the car doesn't start and then check the resistance....

if it's not the VATS, what else could it be?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

ok, I am doing some reading up online and I DID put in a new PCM and never did the crank relearn procedure, but that was a couple YEARS ago and it never through a code. I wouldn't think that would be the problem 2+ years and 20,000 miles later....
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Launching!

I think the problem is elsewhere. I've never heard of a car not starting because of a gear swap.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

I realize the problem is elsewhere....lol

but where?

I removed the "ignition" and "starter" relay's and cleaned up the contacts and then switched the positions of them when I put them back. We'll see if the problem now moves to the starter.....
Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a scanner? See if it can establish a link with the ECM. If it can't...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

yep, I have AutoTap and it links with the ECM just fine. I scanned for any DTC and freeze frame data and didn't find anything....

I went out and started it this morning and it popped right off like it should. HOPEFULLY this intermittent problem was solved by removing and cleaning up the two relays under the hood which established better contact. So far it seems to be working......