Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? 98 camaro bracket raceing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? 98 camaro bracket raceing

Hi, I just bought a 98 Camaro from an auction with the intentions of bracket racing it. Is there any trick to getting these things to run more consistent? maybe a chip or something?

-Also are all 98 camaros witha V-8 a Z-28? Do all have LS1s? Reason I ask is because we got it with no Registration,Plates or Badges & it was previously a Gov't owned car. It ran a 13.85 the other night, but usually runs around Low 14's to high 13's. Problem is it varies about .08 between runs.

any help would be appreciated.

Maybe Coach will see this

Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

was it a cop car
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I don't know, It doesn't show any signs of being a cop car. It is dark blue, & it does have about 4 cigarette lighter outlets in the trunk but I don't know if that is factory or not.

What does a bone stock v-8 camaro usually run?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryan4888
What does a bone stock v-8 camaro usually run?
With decent tires (street) I would think about a 13.6 @105 if an automatic. As for your variance of 0.08 sec, I think that is pretty consistent unless your running drag radials or slicks because I would assume you're getting at least 2 - 10 ft. of wheelspin off the line. If you're hooking clean every time, it's likely that your shift points are changing from run to run dependent upon transmission temperature. Engine temperature may also be another factor to consider assuming you are comparing runs made on the same day, track, and with unchanging variables such as air temp., humidity, pressure, etc.
But then I'm just guessing, I haven't bracket raced for years, and only had a hundred or so runs of competition.
I hope that wherever I messed up, someone will correct me because we all want you to do well. Go get me a trophy, damn't.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

the reason i knew a guy that worked with H. P.D. cars at his shop . they would bring in aboutone or two cars ,camaros,Ltd,crownvicks,and one rare time a 94 impala.he would work on the oil pumps,water pumps,inj. change some plug wires ,and thermostat. so the cars wouldn't heat up .now they may haven't have done this to yours but if it was a goverment car it may have some mods . as to the cig.inlets they use those for radios, scanners,and other things . as to mods go with msd wires,msd ign.,open up the exhast,headers first.then maybe camshaft,heads and valves,and so on . then happy racing
Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan4888
Hi, I just bought a 98 Camaro from an auction with the intentions of bracket racing it. Is there any trick to getting these things to run more consistent? maybe a chip or something?

-Also are all 98 camaros witha V-8 a Z-28? Do all have LS1s? Reason I ask is because we got it with no Registration,Plates or Badges & it was previously a Gov't owned car. It ran a 13.85 the other night, but usually runs around Low 14's to high 13's. Problem is it varies about .08 between runs.

any help would be appreciated.

Maybe Coach will see this

Thanks
Yes, it is a Z28.
Yes, it has an LS1.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Stock cars were rated at 13.9 in the 1/4, but I have seen much better and worse (sadly)

There are no chips for the car, you have to get it tuned manually.

As far as consistency, if it is an Auto, then a good stall and a good set of tires will take care of that. If it is a stick, then just get good at driving.