LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head Bolts vs Head Studs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Head Bolts vs Head Studs

I've seen both on builds was curious as to an advantage, one over the other? Studs seem like they'd be a hastle to deal with if you wanted to pull your heads in the car, but I have no idea if that's a fact or not.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

The arp studs have an allen head so the studs can be removed even while the engine is in the car so I don't see where that will be much of a hassle.

Studs offer better clamping force than a bolt.
I did a search for the article about it but I came up dry.
If I find it I'll post it up.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CatchinZs
The arp studs have an allen head so the studs can be removed even while the engine is in the car so I don't see where that will be much of a hassle.

Studs offer better clamping force than a bolt.
I did a search for the article about it but I came up dry.
If I find it I'll post it up.
Sweet thanks for your help. Just got off the phone with Brian @LME and your right, better clamping force, better yet it was already in my specs...I didn't even realize it

Appreciate your searching, still post if you find anything else, I'll do the same, be good for the tech search database on here.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would only go to studs on a fresh build. Studs and bolts distort the bore differently when torqued this should be accounted for in the final boring. If you go and put studs on a used shortblock the bore is already mated to the rings in the shape bolts made the bore.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would only go to studs on a fresh build. Studs and bolts distort the bore differently when torqued this should be accounted for in the final boring. If you go and put studs on a used shortblock the bore is already mated to the rings in the shape bolts made the bore.
Good pointer, thanks for the tip, didn't know that. This is a new build.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I do a new build I will go to studs. only plan on doing the heads on the unmolested shortblock once so I went with GMPP bolts, like $22 for both sides all in one box. Don't know if they are reusable, for that I would go with ARPs but for many of us playing with stock shortblocks this is a great way to go, thought I would mention it while on the bolt/stud topic.

Quick Reply: Head Bolts vs Head Studs