LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

thinking of buying a 96 z with blown head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking of buying a 96 z with blown head gaskets

It is a 96 lt1 convertable 6 speed it have blown heads gaskets and this is the second time it has happened the heads on it have all ready been milled once do yall think they could be milled again? I could get the car for $2000 it is not perfect but it would be better than my 88 as a daily driver.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get it checked and make sure about whats wrong with it, calculate the cost and add all that to the purchase price, if u get a good deal on all that, go for it.

I got mine for 1500, with all the mods in my sig and labor it all sums up to almost 5K$, keep in mind I'm not in the states and labor here as rather cheap.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's the second time the head gaskets went ensure you check that the block's deck is true. LT1 heads can be found reasonably priced so if the car is in great shape I would think about buying it. However, I would have money budgeted for the worst case scenario IE the heads are trash and the block needs to be decked; that way I would not be caught with an unpleasant surprise.

Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aboatguy
If it's the second time the head gaskets went ensure you check that the block's deck is true. LT1 heads can be found reasonably priced so if the car is in great shape I would think about buying it. However, I would have money budgeted for the worst case scenario IE the heads are trash and the block needs to be decked; that way I would not be caught with an unpleasant surprise.

Mike
The car overheated and he kept driving it but you ar eright I didnt think of the deck being trashed.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I am trying to figure out how mine blew, it didn't over heat, it always runs at 190 degrees. I was taking off from a stop sign, normal driving, and it was skipping. Pulled into a gas station 5 minutes later, and white smoke when it started up. Took it apart, #7 cylinder wet and misfiring. It sits now in storage. I am thinkin about scrapping it, and getting a M6 Z28, and switching all the good parts over to that.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In my case, my heads took a dump, i thought it was a bad head gaskit, but when i tored into the car the heads were in a really bad shape, I think i was lucky to find the new heads in the shop, and I got them for cheap, too bad we dont have any good head porters around.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I am actually thinkin about selling mine. The car needs a paint job. the body is in good shape, a dent under the passengers door. It blew a head gasket. I will be pulling the cam, the rockers, and all the other good stuff and putting it in another Z28, switching out the stuff off of that car. It has stock Heads with LT4 Springs. It has a new 4L60E Trans(13,000 miles). Basically it will be a complete chassis, with an engine that needs rockers and a cam. It will be an easy project car, I just don't want to deal with it. Anyone have an idea of what this would go for, I want enough to cover the mods on the new Z28.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a 96 z with blown head gaskets