Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end clunk when off throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end clunk when off throttle

It starts when I am driving in a parking lot in 1st and when I let off the throttle it goes clunk. If I mash the gas it wont do it. I looked under the car and nothing broken and nothing loose. What the heck could it be?

It is worse in 1st and it basicaly goes away as I go up in gears. It has to do with twising of the housing or something like that. could it be the bad axle bearing thing?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Check your trans mount, your torque arm mount, and your LCAs. My stock LCAs are clunking similar to what you've described, but between shifts (M6 car).
Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Teching In

I am an M6 too but it doesn't do it between shifts only on coast in low gears.
I check the TA and mount and all bolts were there and tight. I looked to see if the Ta was broken but didn't see any cracks. LCAs looked ok, the ruber bushings sure move alot because of the crappy rubber.

Keep it comming I need to figure this out.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

You may have play in the ring & pinion. Grab the driveshaft and try to twist it back and forth (with the park brake on, trans in neutral). Does the pinion yoke (and the shaft) twist a bit, back and forth? If it's more than a very miniscule amount, it will clunk as you've described.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

It could be your posi going out, try driving around in a compelete circle to see if it clunks in a empty parling lot. Or do a small burn out to see if both tire print on the pavement.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

My 2000 Z has done this since it was new. It's like putting a small cardboard box in a clothes dryer sound, though probably not as loud. I think it's just the backlash of the rear because you are neither applying power nor using the engine to slow down, but kind of in limbo. So I think the back and front end of the rearends gear teeth are just exhibiting some play. I think this is normal.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same thing, and it is the play between the ring and pinion that causes it on mine. On a lift, I can reproduce the sound exactly by just twisting the driveshaft with my hand.