LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 transplant and newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 transplant and newb questions

I have the option to buy a 1995 caprice with an LT1 in it with a 4l60e tranny and disc brake rear end with 3.73's. Im going to be putting it in my 1994 silverado that currently has a 4.3v6, 700r4 and im not sure what rearend. I was wondering what this swap would be like. Would it be so much work that it was not worthwhile? I think it would be awesome. I would be putting the rearend in it because it has disc brakes. for the tranny, what would be best? I want overdrive so I could build my 700r4 or should i put the 4l60e in it? for the motor, what parts should I put on right away. I think I am having the motor freshend up by a local motor builder, honing,(SP.?)and new bearings and such. But what cam would be best for power but still descent gas mileage. also how much does a 58mm throttle body benefit and how much more gas does it guzzle. I want to build this motor for power, reliability and still somewhat descent gas mileage because I am 16 and gas prices suck and I hate dumping all my money on gas. SO give me some opinions on this project and what kind of stuff might come up in this swap. any help is appreciated
Old 05-02-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

the rear end out of the car is more than likely not going to fit... your better off buying an aftermarket rear end to put in it... and you might need to shorten your drive shaft but that depends on the tailshaft housing and the rear end... along with the spline count on the output shaft... being that is going in a 93 chevy truck and i use to own a 90 truck... i would customize it for the t56... the hole would be easy to cut.. plus it would be a rare find.. i would also freshen up the motor just to be safe and def. go ahead and replace the optispark...
the hardest thing to this swap will be the wiring... you will have to hard wire all the wires going in to the truck for the gauges and AC and all that other dumb tedious stuff..
i can tell you now that this is not going to be an easy project... its going to take time and money of course... but would be worth it in the end... and is not going to have the best gas mileage....
and for as the throttle body... its not going to bennefit a stock motor... you need serious power/ forced induction to help it out... any other questions you can email me at harvickgm@yahoo.com
i will more than likely answer you faster that way..
Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

um proportioning valve on the Local speedshop honing will likely suck compared to the stock hone, don't be so quick to dive into the shortblock, more people screwup perfectly good ones that actually do any good with "refreshenings".
The two trannies are overwhelmingly the same one is just computer controlled both are OD.
You want the discs swap them to your axle they should both be 8.5" 10 bolts just with different suspension mounts and maybe widths, be aware GM used a drumm proportioning valve on the disc rear cars, that will need modifying if you want properly functioning rear discs since the stock b-body system does not work right.

A 58mmTB would be of no real benifit and would swill no extra fuel.
Not to be an *** but you have a years worth of learning how these systems work before you can dig into them safely and intelligently.
I was young and eager to take on too big a project at one time too, the best thing I can say is STOP and just begin reading all you can for the timebeing.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Teching In

I may not be a car god but I know more than your weekend redneck mechanic. Also my dad has enough years of pro street chevys, trucks and 600 hp motors under his belt to build anything so between my money and will, and his machine/car shop and knowledge, anything his possible. Im not trying to be an *** either its just if I wanted to just put a stock 350 in it I wouldnt waste my time and I would just buy a truck with it in it. the point of this project is to put something in something that never had it. Im not concerned with my ability to do this, I just want some things to look for because i dont have experience with an LT1. People are already impresed with my truck currently being that I am 16 and an LT1 in it would just make it that more fun. Sounds like im being an ***, im not trying to be, its just when people tell me that I should just wait till Im older, just makes me want to do something better. I'll never learn unless I start somewhere, and I think this would be a great project of my own to start with.