Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a 'selecting heads' how-to? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there a 'selecting heads' how-to? Advice?

I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to selecting heads, and I didn't want to email/bother sponsors just yet because I don't plan to buy until later in the summer...

I have a 00 z28 m6, TR 230/224 .563"/.575" 111 LSA cam and bolt-ons. Basically I want the most aggressive heads that I can get without flycutting or having any worries about p to v clearance. I'd like to keep the price under $2,500. I searched a little bit but couldn't really find any good head debate threads.

Also not worried about emissions/etc because we just have OBDII hookup here, no tailpipe test.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, 2500 is a pretty big budge for heads. The first things that come to mind are AFR and ETP heads, and possibly also the upcoming patriot predator heads and even the CNC'd dart heads. All are available with an assortment of runner volumes and combustion chamber volumes. All are aftermarket castings.

Since youre cam isnt particularly monsterous, youll probably want to limit the runner size a bit to keep the low end torquey. IMO 215 or 225, but mot much bigger. Id also look for valves limited to around 2.05 / 1.6.

One other option is to cut down your budget for the heads, and put the remainder into other mods. For instance theres been a recent influx of LS6 heads that are very reasonably priced, yet are excellent performers. You could sove almost a grand and put it towards a fast 90/90 or whatever else you might like. Just throwing it out there.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You finally changed your sig, nice

I had no idea what heads cost so I just threw $2,5 out there. I would like to get a 90/90 setup at the same time....
Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
You finally changed your sig, nice

I had no idea what heads cost so I just threw $2,5 out there. I would like to get a 90/90 setup at the same time....
For just under a grand you can get a set of stock valves 243 (ls6 castings) and for a few hundred more you can upgrade to bigger valves. IMO anything more is past the point of deminishing returns for a mild cammed street car. I think youd do better to get some cnc ported 243's for 1200 - 1500, possibly a fast 90/90, and maybe an undrive pulley if you dont have one.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do a little searching, you have a big budget for heads. cnc'ed darts or etp's or afr's all fit your 2500 range. You cam is not a monster but that doesnt mean you cant put nice heads on the car. I went with TSP PRC stage 2.5 (5.3) heads. They cost $1250 now. My numbers are in my sig. With a proper tune should produce close to the same. But had I your budget I would buy one the above 3. A better head is better no matter what cam is in the engine. I'd love to see what one of those other three heads would do in my car. A 90/90 isnt really for stock cubic inches but thats not to say its a total waste. If I added one I might pick up a couple etxra hp up top. For the money its not that good of hp to money ratio.