Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bottle heater relay ground is getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My bottle heater relay ground is getting hot

What the title says. It is getting hot to the touch, it is all wired right and it doesnt matter where I put the ground, it still gets hot to the touch. What gives? It actually melted like the first 2 inches away from the ground point. I don't want a fire. I have had this working for a year then all the sudden, this happens. I put a ohmmeter on it and it says .02 volts when off, then i turn my switch on and it reads .5 volts, on the ground wire, is this normal? How can I fix this?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

I'm wondering if my bottle heater element is bad or something.

oh yea, and it seems that my bottle heater has stopped getting hot. It only gets luke warm now. That has been happening for the last 6 months or so.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would appear that the ground wire has enough resistance to be causing this issue. Is the wire large enough. I use 12 gage wire on my heater? Are you sure it is getting a good contact at the point of grounding?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, good contact. The ground wire is the size that came with the relay in the kit, i would think that would be sufficient enough or they would of made it a bigger gauge.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Where are you guys running your power source and ground source from it to? I was using the cig lighter for 12v and the sig ground. Then I changed the ground to the chassis and ground the paint away and used a bolt, the ground now is good but still gets really hot. If I touch the ground to a point, it sparks, then smokes and basically welds itself to whatever i touch it to.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heat is a byproduct of resistance. the resistance is coming from somewhere. small wire or a bad connection.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm confused.
Is the heater ground getting hot?
or the small relay ground getting hot?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had the same issue the other day with my warmer. Get a new relay before you melt any wires.

I also had the same type of thing happen on one of our huge A/C units at work and it was a bad contactor relay.

What happens is the contact in the relay stops geting a full contact path so it is trying to pull the required amps through the weakened connection which results in heat being generated.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

The ground wire for the relay is getting hot. The wire gauge is the size that came with the kit, why would they put a insuffecient size gauge on there if it wasn't right? And if I should go bigger, how do I put a thicker guage on it without cutting and splicing the old one? Do I need to get a whole new relay with bigger guage wires? And where would I get one like that, that would work?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

measure resistance of your ground wire-
pop the relay out and measure from that conection to the mounting point and also the actual wire on the connector- it should be real close to 0 ohms
if it is more than that is where heat is coming from-
weather the wire has coroded or just a bad connection somewhere
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 91ZLS1
The ground wire for the relay is getting hot. The wire gauge is the size that came with the kit, why would they put a insuffecient size gauge on there if it wasn't right? And if I should go bigger, how do I put a thicker guage on it without cutting and splicing the old one? Do I need to get a whole new relay with bigger guage wires? And where would I get one like that, that would work?
Read my post above, get a new relay. My relay made my wire melt, just get a new one and your problem should be solved. They are only like $10 at autozone. Heres a part number Manufactuer- GP Sorensen Part- MR76
That is what you need.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
Read my post above, get a new relay. My relay made my wire melt, just get a new one and your problem should be solved. They are only like $10 at autozone. Heres a part number Manufactuer- GP Sorensen Part- MR76
That is what you need.
what he said