Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[rant] MAX2 [/rant]

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default [rant] MAX2 [/rant]

I installed the whole system and came down to wiring up the wideband and found out the f88king thing isn't going to work. The Max 2 is programmed with some gay non-linear curve that FJO preprograms. My hopes were it was going to be some linear curve and I could change the LM1 output but its a no go. After spending well over $500 for the Maximizer 2 and $700 for my widebands, I refuse to spend more money on their wideband with a retarded output curve. Any other ways I can get around this?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard to help someone when they call a quaility control effort GAY. Now there was a right up a few clicks back that should you how to do it. Not sure where it is now.

Ricky
Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

come on Phill tell us how you really feel!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:32 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
hard to help someone when they call a quaility control effort GAY. Now there was a right up a few clicks back that should you how to do it. Not sure where it is now.

Ricky
Ricky,
I've contacted FJO numerous times and each time they tell me to buy the FJO kit and offer no help on how to integrate my equipment. I understand that they don't want to offer help on a product they don't sell but this is almost a $1000 computer and this has nothing to do with quality control.

Oh and for the record...
PLX
AEM
Innovate
WMS
Dynojet
Zeitronix

All use 0 - 5 volt linear output, 10 - 20, 11 - 19, whatever you need

The FJO is the only one that uses this .82 volts to 3.xx volts non linear curve, for some reason its what FJO used and unlike every other parameter in the Max2 its not adjustable.

Last edited by Phil99vette; 05-02-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Another user did this same thing and even did a right up about it if I remember correctly.

And for the record just becuase something is not built like everything else out there does not mean its GAY or bad its just different. I beleive in the FJO product and their thinking on how they build parts. Sorry you purchase parts that do not talk to each other.

Ricky
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

Phill, this exact same topic was discussed in great length not too long ago. As Ricky mentioned, someone on here actually did a write-up on how to get the Max2 and the LM-1 to work together. Sorry, but I can't recall who did it.

I think it's funny that people get pissed when they parts from two completely different companies and then find out that they aren't compatible. With a little research you would have known that the two parts didn't have compatible signals. That's like getting pissed at Mazda for not making the RX7 accomodate the LS1, but with a little thinking and enginuity there are quite a few people that have made the two work great together.

Better yet, why didn't you just get the FJO wideband to begin with and then there would be absolutely no question as to wether it was compatible with the Max 2? People tend to think that the FJO products are more expensive than others on the market, but you spent $700 on your widebands when the DUAL CHANNEL wideband from FJO retails for only $387.

I appologize if this post is coming across as ranting or giving you sh*t Phill, but let's be honest here, to not do any research on the products and then get pissed and make posts bitching about those products when you find out that they aren't easily compatible is a little on the rediculous side don't you think. I honestly hope you get it figured out (do a search on here for that write-up), but I recommend doing a little research next time.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:20 PM
7 Second Club

Your 100% right, I should have done more research. If I had, I would not have purchased the unit. Its got more options and features than I really want. I understand that FJO isn't going to mass produce a product that will work with every wideband on the market but at least make it the standard 0 - 5 volt reference.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is amazing how many people who race only want a controller with the basics. I hear this quite a lot. Does anyone make TPS switch that could be set to turn OFF the main nitrous relay to the solenoids using the wideband 0-5 output? Then use a basic progressive nitrous controller. Also many racers feel that to many options open the door to more problems.
Please note that I am NOT saying any controllers have problems. I am just repeating what has been said to me by more than one racer. I for one like technology and lots of features.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

lol, I'm sorry It's not really that funny, but no offense, that's why I stick with one brand, so to speak. It's like sticking Cobra rims on my car... or using QuickTime in Windows... or like Jeremy said.

I got FJO's wideband and the Maximizer II, and I couldn't be happier. Except, I now think I shoulda gone with their dual channel setup.

Originally Posted by Technoman64
It is amazing how many people who race only want a controller with the basics. I hear this quite a lot. Does anyone make TPS switch that could be set to turn OFF the main nitrous relay to the solenoids using the wideband 0-5 output? Then use a basic progressive nitrous controller. Also many racers feel that to many options open the door to more problems.
I think HSW or DynoTune or Nitrous Direct. I know SOMEONE out there made something like that. I remember 'cause when I saw the post my first thought was, "wtf? make it an all-in-one."
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
7 Second Club

Why can't they make it user programmable like everything else? If you can setup the TPS and RPM section you can setup a wideband. The FJO Wideband is even programmable to a linear output.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

To force you into buying their wideband... it's smart on their part really, they got my money 'cause I was looking at PLX first. If the Edge had been out when I was in the market for a progressive controller, I might just have gone a different route... But yeah the damn wideband they sell can do any set of frequencies of output that you want, even non-linear if you so choose [crazy FJO pic]. I didn't really play with the custom table and don't remember what I set my output to, just that one's to stop my AutoMeter gauge from acting up and then, of course, the other goes to the Maximizer II. Maybe FJO will one day release a patch to make the input signal customizable.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Phil. I think it was bad reasoning on FJO's part by not allowing easy use of non FJO WBs. What about all the guys that allready have an LM1 or other brand. Trying to corner the market by making a product proprietary, for what ever reason, seems to be a somewhat questional practice. Just my humble opinion.
Robert
Old 05-02-2006, 10:10 PM
FormerVendor

Somebody09 hit it right on the head, they do it so that you will look more toward buying there other products that are definately compatible. It's basically the same thing that Microsoft has been doing for years. It sucks sometimes, but that's part of almost all industries.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:47 AM
7 Second Club

I just got an email from FJO tech support and they said that they would put it on the update list but needs to be approved. The new configuration would allow for a 0 - 5 volt user defined input for A/F. I am sold on the Innovate widebands and would buy them all over again even if they cost more.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Robert56
I agree with Phil. I think it was bad reasoning on FJO's part by not allowing easy use of non FJO WBs. What about all the guys that allready have an LM1 or other brand. Trying to corner the market by making a product proprietary, for what ever reason, seems to be a somewhat questional practice. Just my humble opinion.
Robert

Not trying to corner any market, fro crying out loud. This is old, if you want a strawberry cake then buy one, do not buy a chocolate one and bitch it does not have the berrys in it.

Ricky
Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

So rather than building a product that works better for more people you prefer to tell them to bad to sad? In my humble opinion I would think that you would at least want to communicate with the customers and say we can discuss this with the manufacturer and see where it goes. You prefer to tell everyone you should have read more. I aggree this is true they should have read more. Just being a bit more tactful may help in pointing this out. Again these are just my opinions. This does not make them right or wrong.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:40 PM
7 Second Club

Its all good. This thread wasn't directed @ NX but the position the employees took says alot. I was just going to order the inexpensive FJO progressive for a car we're currently building but I'll find another solution. The guys over @ Innovate have been great in trying to find a way to make the two units work together.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Phil,

I think you should ease up on FJO. I have the maxamizer II and it been an amaing product and even thou I had a issue with my LS2 TPS signal, FJO support was right there everyday for a week to help get the issue resolved, even thou it was not their issue.

I have bought the FJO wideband to work with my Nitrous controller to give me some protection and helpfull tunning infromation. If you have ever had to log data and plot it for either troubleshooting or tunning then you will really see why the FJO is amoung the best.

Sorry for your troubles but I can tell you FJO is a solid company to work with, and if they said they will put it on the list of upgrades, then I'm sure they will.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXRICKY

Not trying to corner any market, fro crying out loud. This is old, if you want a strawberry cake then buy one, do not buy a chocolate one and bitch it does not have the berrys in it.

Ricky
This is a nitrous forum, not Betty Crocker's cake making forum.
Robert
Old 05-03-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Its all good. This thread wasn't directed @ NX but the position the employees took says alot. I was just going to order the inexpensive FJO progressive for a car we're currently building but I'll find another solution. The guys over @ Innovate have been great in trying to find a way to make the two units work together.
Since you like the Innovate why not just convert the data output so the control understands it that all. The instruction book gives what the box is looking for. I stand behind what the employees and myself are saying. 100%

as in any product purchase I strongly recommend

read about it,
understand it
find a fair price and
then purchase.

Ricky