Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Body inspection on a 70 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Body inspection on a 70 chevelle

I need some help, I found a 70 chevelle localy and really don't know what to look for interms of body condition. Where are the trouble spots on these bodys? How can I spot boundo? The under side looked solid from what I could see. The paint was not orginal and is sub par. I don't know how to find the hidden stuff.

I bought a 80Z28 back in the day and it had vary little noticable rust, just specs of it from chips. As soon as I hit it with a wheel to remove the paint I found about 20lbs of boundo and hidden rust. How do I avoid that?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bodys like to rust around the rear window, so check there first, the bottom of the rear 1/4s, rear wheel well (up at the top), rocker panels, trunk floor, front fenders (behind the front tires)
To check for bondo, use a magnet (you can get fancy with magnets that claim to tell you the depth of the bondo if you want) but a flexible refrigerator magnet will work just as well, if not a pen magnet will do. Put the magnet on the body, if it falls off then run like hell as far away from that car as possible, it's carved out of bondo (unless it's a vette) if it sticks but is easy to pull off, be suspicious there may be some bondo on it, if it stcks firmly then it's metal. To get the feel for it, use a known good metal fender to test how hard it is to pull the magnet off.
FWIW by your location it's likely to have some rust due to its age, how much is too much, only you can answer that
Old 05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
317indy

The main spots are by the windshields both front and rear on top and below by the hood. Also, ask them to pull up the carpet to see the floorpans.

Quick Reply: Body inspection on a 70 chevelle