General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How good are the A/C kits from Autozone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good are the A/C kits from Autozone??

Well it's getting a tad warm here in eastern NC and During the winter when I did the cam swap the A/C was drained. Instead of paying the big bucks to get it professionally refilled I was looking at some of the do-it-yourself kits at the local auto parts stores. They are half the price and I was wondering if anyone has used one and do they work and how hard is it to get the correct amount of refrigerant in. Thanks.....Kirk
Old 05-04-2006, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

ttt.............
Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2 cans of the r143 and a small can of the oil is all you need. My ac is just as cold as when I bought it with 19k on it.

It's not hard, make sure your a/c is completely drained. Turn on your car and your a/c to max. Put in the oil first and then follow it with the r134.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

I bought an Interdynamics retrofiting/charging kit from Advance for my '90 Accord work car. Couldnt have been easier. And it worked great. I would imagine just charging one would be even easier. Go for it...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might want to at least take it to a shop to get the system vacumned down. At least then you'll know for sure there is no air or moisture in the system. I always did mine myself as well, but my old man has a ac vacumn pump. To me its just a cautionary thing. Just in case air/moisture is in the system. I'm sure where you live it gets pretty humid.

Last edited by WhiteRhino; 05-04-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Yeah you should really have it vacuumed down for atleast 15 mins to boil out all of the moisture in there. How long was the system open for. By the books you should really replace the accumulator also since that abosrbs moisture out of the air when its open like that. But i never replaced mine and it seems to be working good yet. But if i were you i would atleast pull a vacuum on it. Any little bit of moisture that gets to your compressor will ruin it in no time. So to save yourself the headache down the road I would would try and find someone with a vacuum pump.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

It was open just long enough to drain out the refrigerant, then the cap was replaced. How much SHOULD this vaccum thingy cost me at a shop?? Thanks for the replys.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant see it being over $20. Just by draining it and having no freon in the system by emptying it could get moisture in it. I know lots of people who didnt have their system vacumned and didnt have any problems. I personally wouldnt do it. The ac system costs to much to replace if something didnt happen.

Quick Reply: How good are the A/C kits from Autozone??