Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use some help on my LS6 spark plug wires falling off coil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use some help on my LS6 spark plug wires falling off coil.

I could use some suggestions here...

I've found that the last spark plug wire where it snaps twice into the coil is not staying put.

If I remove and reinstall the wire to the coil the car runs smooth....

Then a week or so later the wire must be coming loose ever so slightly...but enough to have the car run rough...

Anybody ever put a pair of pliers on a wire and if so how'd they do it..

Like I said..the car runs great as long as I remove and then reinstall the wire...(I've swapped wires from different locations which snap twice nicely in other coil locations but that number seven nearest the drivers firewall is really tough to hear the double click...

Of course I've bought other brands of wire than my existing MSD's but still its tough to hear that double click...

Can anybody lend some insight otherwise every week I have to remove and install.

I'm putting in a new header and wire set in less than two weeks...so I don't want to buy new wires again till I install the new headers...

2001 ZO6 TTP 224/224 114lsa 396rwhp 380lb/ft tq dual valve spring package, ASP pully , Halltech Tunnel Ram, FLP headers,3.73 Getrag Rear,2004 Z06 shocks,Shaner S2 TB,Hurst
Old 05-03-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's always the #7 coil, it sounds like something in the coil is broken and not grabbing the connector, might want to get a new coil. If you're sure it's the wire, try putting some dielectric grease in the boot, that'll help it slide on the tower, you could also spread the metal piece inside the wire so it will fit tighter into the coil tower
Old 05-03-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've thought about changing the coil as I've heard they are relatively easy to replace as well as inexpensive...

Its just a tight fit on the vette with the headers and all installed...

A week ago I paid a local tuner to replace one cracked spark plug and install the wires..

I paid someone because I thought my inexperience was causing my rough 4 to 6K rpm rev band..and it worked for a week..

I was like Awesome...but...a week later the rough engine condition returned...

So...I removed the plug wire on the last plug wire on the driver side and replaced it with another wire ...

Got a great double click on the previous number seven wire in its new location..but when I took the wire from the number one location...again...I couldn't tell perfectly that I got that double click..

I think I did but it was much less faint...Car ran great..but then after awhile...I could tell the roughness was returning..

I've done this...more times than you can imagine and even paid someone whose supposed to know how to do this for a living and its only a temporary solution...

Can you better explain this statement ... "you could also spread the metal piece inside the wire so it will fit tighter into the coil tower"

Thanks in advance..
Old 05-03-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure how the wire is held into the coil, but if you look inside the coil end of the plug wire, there should be a metal connector (possibly gold colored) you can either compress (slightly) the connector to get it to fit tighter on the connection inside the coil, or expand it (depending on how it's held inside the coil tower)
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks !

I have several sets of extra wires so I'll experiment both ways to see if I can make a better double click..

The weird thing is that as I take the wire on #7 cylinder where I can't get a good double click and move it to another cylinder I get a good double click...

When I take the wire from another cylinder where I get a good double click...and try it at number 7 I can't get a good double click like the other cylinder..

Thanks again..

JB
Old 05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

if thats the case then it must be the coil itself... maybe just a factory defect???
Old 05-03-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
Thanks !

I have several sets of extra wires so I'll experiment both ways to see if I can make a better double click..

The weird thing is that as I take the wire on #7 cylinder where I can't get a good double click and move it to another cylinder I get a good double click...

When I take the wire from another cylinder where I get a good double click...and try it at number 7 I can't get a good double click like the other cylinder..

Thanks again..

JB
It probably won't help to mess with the connector in the plug wire then, sounds like it's time for a new coil (only about $57)
Old 05-04-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice..I'm putting in a new coil pack this weekend.

I'll update afterward to let you guys know if it did the trick..
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN just try to squeeze the plug wire where it slides onto the coil. Inside is a metal ring, that if you bend shut a little more, will grab the post inside the coil better. Take it off and inspect it, compare it to another and see if the damage is more severe than just being a little worn out.

When you put it back on, stick a good coil on the #7 slot and put the old #7 coil closer to the front so it's easier to remove should you need to.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ding..Ding...Ding....Ding...Ding..

We've got a winner! The coil pack was not connecting..to spark plug wire with two clicks...

Swapped it out for a new one and lo and behold! The cars as smooth as silk..

Cars what its supposed to be...

Just a heads up..NO codes..no nothing but the problem made the car run rough! Swapped out the coil pack and the cars running awesome!

Thanks guys for your insight.

JB