Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula Spoiler Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula Spoiler Question

I'm sorry for my ignorant question, but I am not familiar with cars. My question is, I looked up a vin number on carfax and saw that the cars name is a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Formula. Does this mean that the spoiler will be raised or not raised? Or could it be either?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth_Trans_Am
I'm sorry for my ignorant question, but I am not familiar with cars. My question is, I looked up a vin number on carfax and saw that the cars name is a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Formula. Does this mean that the spoiler will be raised or not raised? Or could it be either?

Thanks
I believe on CarFax, both T/As and Formulas come up as what you said - I remember mine saying Forumla when I ran a CarFax but it is indeed a T/A.

I dunno though, maybe there is a code to look for in the VIN to be sure? Try a search.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you've noted it as a 1998 model, most likely 'raised'. If it didn't have the Trans Am, I'd say low-level. (Some 93-4 T/A's actually had either.)
All the 4th gen Trans Am's are titled/licensed/built as a Firebird, then get the V8 'Formula' adder, & then finally the 'Trans Am' option package. (I don't know about earlier gen's.)
This was discussed in great lengths a few months ago.
Most Trans Am titles have the 'Formula Trans Am' as the vehicle type.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most car companies refer to the t/a as a Trans Am Formula and the regular formula as a Firebird Formula. You'll get that high rise!!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default yes the titles says firebird

the eighth digit on the vin should be a G if I remeber right indicating a trans am or look for number of cylnders firebirds 6 cylnder trans am 5.7 liter 8 cylnder LS1
Old 05-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Launching!

My Vin comes up as 'Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Formula' and my car is a Formula. So, there is a possibility that it is a Formula you are looking at, and Formulas do not have the high rise spoiler, the Trans Ams do.

Last edited by Formula_X; 05-06-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula_X
My Vin comes up as 'Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Formula' and my car is a Formula. So, there is a possibility that it is a Formula you are looking at, and Formulas do not have the high rise spoiler, the Trans Ams do.
If your car is a Formula & the titl;e says 'Trans Am', then the title is phukt up, ..., it should not say T/A. Unless it originally was a T/A, someone wrecked it & changed it back to Formula panels.