Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some insight would be great...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some insight would be great...

I have an '06 MN6 Corvette with the following mods: FAST and LPE intakes, a medium size cam, kooks Lt headers with cats and x-pipe, and it has been tuned following each installation of mods. My idle at start up is fine and cruising is great, no issues there. The issue begins when the car stops. As soon as the wheels stop, the idle screams to 2k rpms and stays there. If I tap the gas, it may come back down to 1500 or it may choose to stay there. My gas mileage doesn't seem to be bad and all readings are in line. It has been thoroughly checked for vacuum leaks and there are none. The IAC valve is good. The MAF is okay. The problem began several days after the cam install and before the intakes were installed. I disconnected the battery and everything was fine with no surging, etc. for 2 days after which the problem returned. I love the performance of the car and would like to get this resolved. Has anyone experienced anything like this? My tuner as well as myself is searching to find out what the heck is going on. Any input would be appreciated. It's driving me nuts. All the kids on Honda Civics think I want to race when I am stopped at a light. Yesterday, this kid on a Contour [Ford?] pulled up beside me at a light and asked if I wanted to race. I shook my head and said to myself, "This has to end."
Old 05-04-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

It sounds like your throttle cracker and throttle follower decay rates are are too long. I would have your tuner start there. I would also advise you to look into purchasing your own tuning suite so you are not at the mercy of a tuner to get your drivability right. Check out www.greenlightmotorsports.com for some great deals on www.efilive.com
Old 05-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
It sounds like your throttle cracker and throttle follower decay rates are are too long.
I would agree with TAQ. Quite common to see this occur in a partial tune.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

It sounds like your base airflow (RAF) may be off too. Once the car has the couple days to learn the new idle characteristics, the problem reappears. I didn't realize electronic throttle cars had an IAC valve though...

Once you dial in base airflow, the throttle cracker and follower tables (both volumes and decay rates) can be tweaked as stated above and you should be good. But keep in mind, they aren't the only tables that add airflow to the base airflow table. A thorough tuner should know this already...
Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I didn't realize electronic throttle cars had an IAC valve though...
I don't recall all the issues on the electronic TB (not having one myself), but I due recall that IAC had a bearing on the vettes still.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

On ETC, the IAC is controled with the throttle plate.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
On ETC, the IAC is controled with the throttle plate.

Well, I have some news. I had not turned my a/c on at all until today and the problem totally goes away with the a/c on. The car runs and idles perfectly. Turn the a/c off, and it returns. So, I will leave the a/c on and hope that it gets figured out before winter.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

The PCM adds additional air when the AC is on to compensate for the load of the compressor. Good luck