General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering wheel and brake shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel and brake shake

Now this is getting annoying. At higher speeds (60-90) my steering wheel shakes. My steering wheel also shakes when I press my brakes. I have no clue what is causing it. I had my mechanic look to make sure my rotors were not warped. He said it was fine. Any ideas?

My brakes also suck at higher speeds as well. We I brake from 90 mph or high it takes forever to stop.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your rotors and pads are glazed braking performance will suck. How did your mechanic check to see if the rotors were warped? That's what it sounds like to me. Most of the time you cannot visually see the warp as it only has to be warped by thousandths of an inch to cause the problems you are having. You could just have your front rotors turned and sand the pads to remove the glaze and see if that fixes it. Its pretty cheap to get rotors turned
Old 05-04-2006, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your steering wheel shakes at speed without touching the brakes, your tires are either WAY out of balance or you may have a caliper slide pin frozen, keeping the caliper from completely releasing the rotor. If your steering wheel is shaking under braking, the rotors are warped....period. These cars are notorious for it. My stockers warped bad twice in under 30k miles, so I tossed them for some powerslot rotors. 20k miles later they're still straight.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is really bad enough that you can see the wheel shimmy by itself on the highway - this is one of several rather common, easy things such as wheel balance, warped rotors, or at worst case, a sticking caliper.

If your mechanic can't diagnose that - it's time to find a new mechanic.