Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window Tint.. Removing Dots and Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint.. Removing Dots and Defroster

Im going to tint my windows but want to make sure that the tint looks PERFECT. This means i will have to get rid of the annoying black dots and the defroster. Has anyone done this? Will a razor get the dots off? I know a razor will get the defroster off.. just wondering about the dots..
Old 05-03-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

will not go awa...you can scrap away the top of the defrost line...but then they look worse.(really ugly orange is the only thing that i have ever seen.)

as far as the dots...they are ceramic...and baked on probobly not coming off, you might be able to sand them off but i assure the sand marks will look worse than the dots. a suggested method to getting the dots to look good is this:

take a fine sanding block and take your time to sand them down a little(do not get rediculous and do not use coarse paper) the dots will remain but will be sanded smoother and easier to. Then they make special glue that you apply to the dots prior to sticking the tint on. apply the glue according to the directions and let it sit and dry. then lay the film on the back window like you normally would...BUT DO NOT SQUEEGEE(sp?) the dots, let them stay wet and unstuck. then super heat the glass where the dots are so it is very hot. then squeegee out only once straight up. the idea is this...the glass will be soo hot that when you squeegee the water out that one time the moisture immediately evaps, and the glue sticks to everything the first time...leaving no white dots.

it is possible i have done as well as seen it done. when i did my camaro however i did not have the glue available so i didnt even try it...when i retint i will.
Louie
Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wont happen if you mess with the defrosters they wont work. Those dots wont come off , if you use sand paper (even the finest grit) it will not only take forever but the glass will be hazzy. If you find a good tinter they dont look to bad.
Good luck
Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted the dot matrix area from the inside with flat black engine enamel and then had it tinted... looks great and was very easy/inexpensive to do.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

If you took it to get done, they would just wet sand down the dotted area & tint over it all. If done properly there shouldn't be any problems. I got mine done in my buddies garage. A guy he knows does it on site.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

If you take the car to someone who actually knows how to install tint correctly - the tint will look fine over both the dots and defroster.

The installer I used in PA. can tint the hatch with (1) piece, go over the dots and defroster and it looks perfect.

$275 total to tint the rear window and both side windows...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

We have four 4th gen TA's. We have had tint done from two different shops that are considered to be the most reputable and the "best" in our surrounding areas. One did the lightly wet sand method after I requested and paid extra for it. It still doesn't look uniformly black after a while.

On this last car, I masked off the top section where the dots are and did the paint. It has held up perfect on my daily driver. The paint does NOT interfere with your vision from inside the car at all and looks perfect from outside. Heck, I had the can of flat black paint in my garage already. I got this suggestion from a member of this board a while back and it worked better than anything else I have tried.

If your car sits outside alot while you work or whatever, it has been my experience that it doesn't matter how well the tint was put on to start with. On a garage queen that is only driven a few miles a week... then its not as big of deal and you probably could get away with tinting over the dots. Takes a while for the problem to show up anyways, but then it just keeps getting worse.

This is just one person's experience with having the rear hatch tinted take it for its worth.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

A reputable shop will make the back window look great. My car has had tint on it for 4 years and the back window still looks awesome, even around the dots.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Teching In

For a show quality look the best way IMO is to paint the dots. That is what I did on my car it is looks seamless and flawless. At car shows I have had window tint company owners stop by and ask me how it was done to look so nice on the dots. Have a look........

Old 05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Ive also heard of putting black cut vinyl over the dots...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS LS1 MI
For a show quality look the best way IMO is to paint the dots. That is what I did on my car it is looks seamless and flawless. At car shows I have had window tint company owners stop by and ask me how it was done to look so nice on the dots. Have a look........

Why are you always one step ahead of me!! lol.

Anyhow, what did you use to paint it?? Spray paint or airbrush or somewhere in betweeen??
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks perfect.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't worry about the defrost lines. If your guy does the tint right, the defrost won't bubble the tint (and if it does, he should fix it for free). Best way to go is vinyl over the dot matrix.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

If you don't like the defrost lines you could always find a low option V6 rear glass with no defrost. My 94 Firebird V6 had every option on it BUT the stupid rear defrost. As for SS LS1 MI's car..it is awesome. It's even hard to see what was done from the inside of the glass, let alone the outside. I still want to have this done on my car but keep finding other more fun things to spend the money on.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Ive also heard of putting black cut vinyl over the dots...
tHIS IS TRUE, THERE IS A VINYL STRIP CUT FOR DOT MATRIX FROM LEADING TINT BRANDS SUCH AS 3M, I AM NOT SURE WHO RETAILS THEM THOUGH. BUT IT HAS BEEN DONE, AND IS KILLER LOOKING!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

but this is the best work i have seen yet!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

I have no HVAC, so I Will be working on sanding, high grit and wet on the rear window to get the rear defrost lines off...You can buy glass polish to buff fine marks out, just a bigger form of the Camaro headlight deal lol....I will keep you all posted...I dunno if I will mess with the dots or not, they don't bother me, and my tint guy is good with them, but I just don't want the lines there...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toasty
Don't worry about the defrost lines. If your guy does the tint right, the defrost won't bubble the tint (and if it does, he should fix it for free). Best way to go is vinyl over the dot matrix.
I had my vinyled over first, it is able to stick inbetween the dots. Then tint. Looks great.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you guys get it so black in the back? normally the rear window has a slightly green tint to it.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was lucky enought when I had my windows done, that the guy who did it was able to have the tint stick to the matrix dots. The tint came out perfect, after a day he took a hot air gun to it and the dots vanished.

Quick Reply: Window Tint.. Removing Dots and Defroster