Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The diffrence between these...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The diffrence between these...

compound,swirl remover,polish. i know compound does scratch removal, but swirl remover speaks for itself, after a compound do u need swirl remover and also i notice polish always says removes swril marks. so whats what?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

anyone
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detailing products are nothing more than an exercise in semantics. Typically, a compound is the most harsh of the three, and can leave some haze behind after you are done using it. But some break down enough while being worked that they don't do this. A swirl mark remover would be the next step down in abrasiveness, etc...the general idea being to use the least harsh product possible to get the desired results. If it doesn't do it, then step up to something with more bite.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

swirl remover=polish Again all semantics.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

hmm i dunno what the hell to use then because when i wax my car all my imperfections are gone till its a week later then i see it all again, so polish is less agresive than swirl remover or equal?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

It depends on the line of products you are looking at...if they are advertising a swirl remover and a polish as two separate products in the same line, I'd assume that the swirl remover is the more abrasive of the two products.

If your imperfections are coming back, it is because your wax is hiding them. You'd need to use a swirl remover to keep that from happening. I've also found that quick detailing after washing can help that condition some, but the underlying cause is still there in your paint.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
hmm i dunno what the hell to use then because when i wax my car all my imperfections are gone till its a week later then i see it all again, so polish is less agresive than swirl remover or equal?

Again, it all boils down to what the manufacturer calls their product. Wax is not going to take away any imperfections. It may fill and hide them temporarily but they will show up again. Normally you can think of a polish and a swirl remover as about the same thing, although you can make either one of them more or less aggressive depending on what type of pad you use to apply them. Also, one companies polish may be more or less aggressive than another companies but they are still called polish. So, it's basically a trial and error thing until you find what works best for you. I use the 3M product line and like it a lot. They call theirs a swirl remover but it's really just a polish.

Bryan
Old 05-05-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

so what would u guy recomend i do i got the cobweb look in the bright sunlight, and also what looks like light scratches all in back and forth motion ways i think it was somethin the car was washed with that wasnt soft and left marks on the entire car, they are hideen well by the wax but i want them gone
Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I personally like Menzernas line of products...I'd start with Final Polish II, but most likely, you'll need the Intensive Polish to get rid of them all. I've had good luck with Poor Boy's products as well, but the Menzerna is easier to work with IMO.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

i have no idea where to get those name products, i see 3m and meguaira the pepboys napa walmart stuff
Old 05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Gotcha...I order all my stuff. Not familiar with any of the more readily available products out there, so someone else will have to chime in.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

hmm maybe ill just do the meguairs 3 step
Old 05-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

No matter what you use, make sure you use a Porter Cable 7424 or equivalent...you won't get the results you are after by hand (without a **** ton of man hours that is).
Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

i have a colmen 6" buffer nuttin crazy i dont go the $$ for the PC now
Old 05-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

As long as it works, that's all that matters. Doing it by hand just sucks...anything is better than that crap
Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i really want a pc but for the time being my $15 coleman from walmart with a couple terry,and microfiber pads does the job, puts down a mean coat of wax tho lol and i do it in 1/2 the time
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
yeah, i really want a pc but for the time being my $15 coleman from walmart with a couple terry,and microfiber pads does the job, puts down a mean coat of wax tho lol and i do it in 1/2 the time
To really get all of the swirls out you are going to need the PC. The "buffer" you are using just doesn't have the power to actually remove the swirls in your paint. Like stated earlier, I personally like the Menzerna products. They are very easy to use. I order most of my supplies from www.autopia.com. They also have very useful write ups on the site to help you get started. There is also a very useful FAQ at the top of this forum for the PC. Just do a little bit of reading up and you will have a much better understanding of what compound will work the best for you.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 2000blackta
To really get all of the swirls out you are going to need the PC. The "buffer" you are using just doesn't have the power to actually remove the swirls in your paint. Like stated earlier, I personally like the Menzerna products. They are very easy to use. I order most of my supplies from www.autopia.com. They also have very useful write ups on the site to help you get started. There is also a very useful FAQ at the top of this forum for the PC. Just do a little bit of reading up and you will have a much better understanding of what compound will work the best for you.
Well, technically, even the PC doesn't have enough power to get scratches out...it just doesn't generate enough heat. Only a full rotary machine can do that, and those are dangerous (I won't even touch mine to my car's paint anymore ). It does do a great job hiding them though...

Quick Reply: The diffrence between these...